Pap Smear to see where bleeding is coming from?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I for got to ask you ladies this: When I had to go to ER for extermely heavy bleeding in June this year  the ER doctor said they had to take a pap smear to check for STD (which is their norm to do) , infection BUT they also said they need to make sure the blood is coming from the uterus I thought thats the only place it could come from, where else ? Have you all ever heard of that? Plus when I seen my GYN for my uterus biospy she said the less tissue they can get the better the results for not been C. I didn't know that either. Can a transvaginal show anything wrong with vulva?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have heard of that. Sometimes bleeding can come from fibroids, or cervical polyps. A transvaginal ultrasound exam can show if there are any abnormalities.
  • Posted

I think the ER doctor didn't give you all the information he should have.  You could have been bleeding from your vagina due to a tear, but he would have seen that if he'd used a speculum and checked you internally.  Other places would be from your urethra, or your rectum. Some women attribute bleeding from those places to bleeding from their uterus.  

Also, I think your doctor mis-stated.  They need enough tissue to do a proper biopsy.  It should be taken from different parts of the uterus.  If they only take from one area, they could miss cancer growing in another.  

As to the transvaginal ultrasound showing anything wrong with the vulva, I really don't know if it could.  

• Posted

Yes my GYN did go in and take 3 to 4  different areas of my uterus. She ask if I was allegeric to Iodine she used a huge qtip to put iodine on uterus before biospy. Yes the ER doctor did use the speculum. My GYN also did a manual pelvic with her hand NOT sure why. Hopefully when they do your pap smear and such they can see vulva areas too. I also got a pap smear to check for cervical cancer it was fine but my question is do we get that pap smear every year or every 3 years now I was told 3 years if normal one. I hope that transvaginal ultra sound showed everything because I was bleeding rather heavy when they went in and did that . It did show the 9mm thickness of the lining. She did an ultra sound of lower stomach too because she didnt see the ovaries in the trasnvaginal one . She did see them on the stomach ultra sound. From June 4, 2016 to August 18th, 2016 I have had 2 pap smears checking for different things, 1 transvaginal ultra sound, 1 Cervical biospy , 1 uterus bisopy , and manual pelvic, 5 tubes of blood work  All due to post-meno bleeding. I have one other question one of my blood work showed some of it that I was NOT meno even though I went 19 months without a period now someone said that blood work changes constantly and if so would I go by it saying I was not meno or just go by the 19 months no period and my age (59) that I actally am post meno?
    • Posted

Wow, going through all that was certainly a pain, and painful, I'll bet. Not to mention just plain frightening.

When I became over the age of 60 my doc said no more pap smears.  I've since gone to a GYN, who said every 3 years, if normal, no matter how old you are.  Seems like US docs have dropped the 60 & over annual pap smears solely because it's not "cost effective."  I wonder if that's driven by the insurance companies.  They know that some women will get cervical cancer, but "oh, well." 

As for being menopausal, I think that it's sort of a moving target...because each woman's body chemistry is different, and fluctuates.  So, realistically, until your periods cease absolutely, it's anyone's guess.

I had not had a period for over 10 years or so when I started to spot; it was endometrial cancer.  My surgery was on July 18.  

• Posted

Lynda, how are you doing since the surgery?  Are you still healing from it? Did they do abdonimal or vagainal hysterectomy? Was everything contained to uterus?  You dont need chemo or radiation do you? How long was you in hosiptal for? Only answer these if you like and feel like it.
    • Posted

Hi, 

I don't mind answering at all.  Just so you know, I'm 67, because I think that my age probably matters. I had DaVinci robotic assisted surgery.  They inflate you with gas, and there are small incisions.  I had 6, each a little over 1 inch long.  The surgeon removed everything, uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix, together with adjacent lymph nodes through my vagina.  I spent the night in the hospital and went home the next afternoon.  I think I recovered pretty typically, first 5 days very uncomfortable, until six weeks after the surgery, when I started to feel much better.  

After the surgery, they staged the cancer to 1a, it was confined to the uterus, no spread to the lymph nodes. The surgeon informed us at the hospital.  After weeks of being horribly afraid, I felt much better.  

At my 6 week post op, the doctor informed us that after the surgery was done, they washed out the surgical area, saved the fluid, and had the cells examined. Some of the cells were designated as "suspicious" not cancerous.  The doctor said that all the cancer had probably been removed, and that because of the staging, 1a, I wasn't a candidate for radiation or chemo.  Those methods of treatment were not appropriate.

However, he told me that if I wanted to, I could take a course of an estrogen blocking drug called anastrozole.  He said that it has side effects, but that it was an estrogen blocking drug, and if any estrogen sensitive cancer cells had migrated, it would essentially starve them and block their growth.

So now, I've pretty much decided to take the drug.  But, I still have concerns.  When dealing with medical issues, there is nothing absolute, nothing cut and dried, none of the exactness that people hope for and in times of desperation cling to.  Anything can happen. So prayers are important, in the absence of divine intervention, you hope for luck.  Then you decide to fight, and do all you can.

• Posted

Lynda, how long will you have to take the anastrozle for?  Have you started it yet?  I dont quite understand how anything even fluid that can be left if they removed everything. Did you opt for a complete ? Thank the Lord everything was caught in time at 1a. Let's keep each other in prayer. I thnk you have done really good. You can't lift anything very heavy for 6 mos right? I know my sister was told that.  DaVinci robotic assisted surgery you was put completely to sleep correct? Did you want to try that DaVinci robotic assisted surgery or was there a choice?

• Posted

Hi, the doc said about 2 years.

I just got the prescription Wednesday, and I haven't started it yet.  He said I didn't have to start it right away.  I want to contact another doctor that I see and ask about possible effects on other medication I'm taking.

What happens is they remove all the organs, and there is a wound left from where the organs were.  They then wash out the wound, and capture the fluid and check it for cancer cells, to make sure the wound's cleaned out and nothing is left inside. Basically, I agreed with the doctor that a complete hysterectomy was necessary.  At my age, I don't need ovaries, and there was a small cyst on one of them, anyway.

My doctor specializes in DaVinci surgery.  I think if things had got extraordinarily complicated, he would have opened me up. I was completely sedated, thank heavens!  

You're right about the no heavy lifting.  

The pathologist that reviewed the biopsy that the GYN did initially said the cells were typed as 1 and 2.  That was scary.  Later, the surgeon/oncologist told me that a different pathologist's examination of the tissue after the surgery is performed is the one that governs and mine was typed as 1a.  But my daughter (who's an RN) is concerned about why the previous pathologist would say 1 and 2.  My surgeon/oncologist said, that it's a range of types.  I would take that to mean that the previous pathologist chose to classify some cells as 2.  I don't know why.

Hope this helps!  

• Posted

Lynda, you said all lymp nodes was good correct and thats a good thing! I would take the prescription they gave you too if it doesnt affect your other meds and the side affects not be too bad. 
    • Posted

Hi, yes, I'm gonna take it!  smile I've done some on line looking.  Some said the side effects were awful, and stopped.  Others said they were manageable, and a few said that they didn't have any symptoms at all!  

• Posted

Lynda, I pray you have no side affects at ALL! Just keep in mind in two years you will never need to take that again!  You have been through a lot and even though I dont personally know you I can feel your sunny personality! I'm glad you have a daughter thats an RN she can help you through all this! Hugs!

• Posted

Hugs right back to you! Please let me know how you continue to do, won't you? I so appreciate all your kind thoughts, and you prayers! xxx

• Posted

I sure will  :-) You let us know how that pill does once you start it! I live in Kentucky what state are you?
    • Posted

lol guess you will be late for supper then! cheesygrin My husband who passed away last year from Bular ALS :-(   was from Puerto Rico. hablas espanol? Hago un poco.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to learn of your husband's illness and passing!  Please accept my condolences!  

How about I send you a private message?    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.