Paper fairy

Posted , 6 users are following.

i thought some of you would like to know she's been in touch with me and she's getting better and will be posting again soon

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh thank you, Vickylou.  You are a good friend to Paper fairy.  Tell her I'm missing her.  Thank you so much for posting info.

Give my Best Regards to our friend P.F.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thank you Vickylou, that's a relief to know.
    • Posted

Yes Patricia, I was delighted to get a message from her. I've told her she's been missed.
  • Posted

I'm 10 months sober today, but I still miss drinking. I miss the high, I don't feel happy and don't like going to parties w/o the drink. Anyone else feel this way ? I was thinking maybe naltrexone may be an option, but I'm scared it would defeat all the work I have done
    • Posted

Hi shannon

10 months sober is a fantastic achievement well done😄😄

i can can understand how you feel, I had four years sober. The first was the worst. I felt very jealous at parties and social occasions when everyone was drinking and having fun. I couldn't understand what people were laughing at, they just seemed stupid to me.

only you can decide if you want to return to social drinking. I think a lot depends on how much you used to drink before, how your life used to be and what made you stop for ten months.

My four years ended at a party when someone asked me what I wanted to drink and I said lime and soda. They obviously thought I said wine and soda as one sip told me it was wine. I was curious, what would happen, how would I feel and would I want more? I ended up having four and felt fantastic.

i decided I could cope with just social drinking at weekends and did for a couple of years without any problems. Then I had family illnesses, I was working nights, had three young children, doing a degree as a mature student and basically running three homes. Mine, my mums and my mother in laws. I'd come back from work at 6 am try and get a couple of hours sleep before the school run, then uni then work etc etc.

i started using alcohol again as a prop and chose to deny I was drinking more and more so it became a problem again. I've never drunk daily, always binge drinking. I stopped again, then just social again.

all I would say is that I've never used naltrexone and aim to drink just at weekends now, although I have the occasional blip. Paul and Joanna are professionals who help and give great advice. I'm sure they will answer you. Others here will give their opinions too.

Good luck with whatever way you chose

• Posted

Hello Shannon,

The problem may be that the medication Naltrexone will not let you have the high.  I am taking Nalmefene(Selincro), which works in a similar way.  So, you drink alcohol... after taking a tablet and a certain time passing.  These medications block the high.  So, I would think... no point, for you.  You are at a great stage... 10 months sober, very well done !  

I hope to get used to the lack of the high.  I am tapering down my alcohol intake, slowly. Maybe, after that, I could try stopping.

I suppose the lack of the high, is the difficult part to live with, for you... and for us all !

Keep sober.  Keep well.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thank you, yes the stupid high, ugh !!!!! I wish none of us had this problem
    • Posted

That's the main reason I've not started taking the tablets!

to be honest, apart from champagne, cava, prosecco (excuse my spelling!), I don't really like the taste of alcohol!! It's the effect I like. How stupid am I, got a problem with binging when I'm anxious and then drink stuff I don't like.

if you don't get that mellow glow and feel the buzz, then for me why bother.

i took campral for a year which was really good and stopped all cravings. I must admit I cheated whilst taking it. If I'd got a holiday, party or wedding or something special, I'd stop the tablets 3 days before and then start 2 days later. I must stress that is NOT the right way to take them. It suited me, no side effects, sensible drinking occasionally and no chance of going of on a binge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.