Paracetamol Causes Mid Back Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

It seems that every time I take paracetamol for a headache for example, I get this pain in my mid right back.    I was worried it could be my liver, but I had a liver function blood test and it came back normal.  (I had a full range of blood tests .. all normal apart from Fe).

I only take 1 paracetamol tablet (actually panadeine with 15mg codeine) when I get a really bad headache, maybe once a month, but it seems every time I get this back ache.   It starts about 30 minutes after I take it and lasts for a few hours.

Is that a side effect that anyone has experienced ?

I also have lower iron, constantly, no one can really work out why.    I take supplements and have had infusions in the past too.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm on a regular dose of paracetamol with slow release Tramadol along with Naproxen, not had any problems with the paracetamol. I do have back pain as a result of arthritis and mixed tissue problems. Have you had an xray to check your spine?

• Posted

Hi,

Yeah I have had a couple of chest / back xrays over the last few years since the pain started.    The pain comes and goes .. I thought I had gotten rid of the pain after my last iron infusion about 3 years ago it went away for a long time, then earlier this year it came back and I found I had no Iron (Fe) again.   So it seems to coincide with the low iron but taking Paracetamol seems to aggrivate it when its 'active'.      It's not a bad pain, just a kind of ache and stiffness around that area.

• Posted

I've reduced the Tramadol dose over time as long term opiod use has caused more pain in the end, have they considered the codeine as a possible cause of your pain? The other thought that crossed my mind was the neurological connection with the headaches? Hope the cause of the pain is identified for you soon so you can get the right treatment.

• Posted

Could be the codeine I guess.   Not that I use much, maybe 1 tablet in a month.    I get a lot of headaches, always have, I treat them with Nerofen but sometimes they progress and if I don't hit them with Codeine they sometimes end up as terrible one sided migraines that just make you feel so dam sick.       MSG is a known trigger for me, I try to avoid it but its in so much food nowadays I still get caught out sometimes.

I'll take it up with my Dr .. he has aware of it and dosn't seem concerned.   

• Posted

It could be referred pain. Meaning, you're experiencing a stomach or gastrointestinal issue of some sort that is triggered each time you take pills and the pain is tranferred to your mid back.

For example, some women suffering from menstrual cramps don't just feels it in their abdomen but in their back and even legs too.

Talk to your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.