Paralysis of lower mouth after saliva gland surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I may have to get an operation to remove my saliva gland just under my jaw line because I have a  tumour on it. I have been warned that I might paralyse my lower lip and tounge and around that area because you have a nerve running right near where they need to operate. I just wanted to know if anyone has had this surgery and what it was like and how were the results. Also does anyone know how likely it is that I will get paralysed because I’m only 16 and I don’t really want to go through my whole life with a dodgy face.

Thanks 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had this operation myself last July. They tell you there is a risk of nerve damage but the good news is that what is likely to happen is a little bruising to the nerve. The surgeon's use a device that basically prevents them going too neat the nerve itself which is held back to prevent it being damaged. The result is it takes a few weeks for the nerve to settle after the op and 6 months later there was no tingling or unusual sensation. although each case is different the chances are your nerve will not be affected at all so please be reassured. ask me anything else if you want to, the surgeon's performing this type of operation are amazing and they do it several times a week so they are great at it!

• Posted

Thank you so much for that. That was very reassuring hopefully I will be like you 
  • Posted

Hi Lara,

As Nick said, there are many things that are listed that could go wrong, paralysis being one of them. I think that most people who undergo the operation initially suffer from it to some degree, I certainly did, however but it does wear off after a while. Mine took about a year before I finally realized it had gone.

All good now except for a little tightness around where the incision was made ( which looked awful with the stitches in, but you can't see it at all now ) and weirdly I now get cramp in that area when I yawn too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.