Paranoia and OCD

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does paranoia come with OCD? I fear that I am bipolar or have had psychosis or I am schizophrenic, but my doctors and therapist basically tell me that my OCD keeps flaring up.

I have anxiety and I do have panic attacks sometimes and every now and then....about once a month or so for about a week I get really irritable and paranoid over stupid stuff and start fearing the worst.....like bipolar and shizophrenia...... My "compulsions" are basically reactions like reacting on my thoughts without thinking or googling my symptoms or searching for reassurance. I have never been one to tap a certain amount of times, or check and recheck things or anything like that. I guess that is why it is so hard for me to accept the fact that its "just" OCD and Anxiety. 

Sometimes I get paranoid about eating out or thinking my husband will play tricks on me and put weed in my drink or food. Even though deep down I know he wouldnt. My husband don't even smoke weed and nor do i. I did one time some years back and that is when I had my first ever panic attack and now every time I have a panic attack I link it to weed and think somebody has put weed in my food or drink. my therapist said this is OCD .....that im "latching" on to the thought and won't let it go...... always having to have a reason or needing to know....and that this is all OCD related and causing more anxiety.....

Does anybody else experience these symptoms and if so , how do you deal with them and still work and carry on a normal life?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi this all sounds like anxiety to me and I can't see any bipolar  or schizophrenic symptoms in those you list.  Don't under estimate how strong and disabling anxiety can be coz it is.  OCD is a fairly common symptom of anxiety too.  Are you on any meds?  You say you are seeing a therapist.  I think your best bet is to keep on with the medical  help you are getting as it will take time for this to start having an effect on you.  x

• Posted

No I am not on any meds. The night I had the panic attack over a year ago, I had taken an antibiotic and somewhere in my head the medicine seemed to contribute to that, and ever since then I have been terrified of medicine. My doctor tried me on lexapro a couple of months after all of this started and it gave me a HUGE panic attack about 6 hours later, which made me even worse about medicine. My doctor then tried me on klonopin and it seemed like it was not working really fast. It would take over an hour for me to really tell it was in my system and then the next day I would feel worse than what I did before I took it. Which made me even WORSE about medicines. My doctor suggested me to go to a therapist. I have tried a few and finally found one I really like. I have been going to her since November and it has seemed to help a lot. But once about every 3-4 months or so it seems like my anxiety and whatever else gets really out of control and lasts for a couple weeks at the time. The longer it lasts the more my thoughts take over and its harder and harder to get calmed back down to a "normal" state if that makes sense. Sometimes I wonder if that is even normal.

• Posted

Well it's up to you of course whether you want to take meds but I don't know of any other way to help.

You are already getting counselling so the only other option is the self help one.  Look at mindfulness,  meditation,  yogs etc. to see if any of these help.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.