Paranoid about a worm infection from a stray cat, is there any way to put my mind at ease?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I accidentally ate some food that may have been licked by a stray cat and now I'm paranoid that I might have roundworms or tapeworms? Are these parasites commonly spread through saliva? I live in New Zealand. I'm extremely worried that I could be infected as I've read horror stories online of people losing their vision and getting brain damaged after getting these parasites. Apparently most people don't experience symptoms so how will I know if I have them?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

im not shure they might be anyway id go to the doctors just to be on the safe side they might give you antibiotics or somthing id go just to put your mind at rest anyway because you will drive youself crazey worring luv

• Posted

Ask for an Ova and Parasite test and don't read horror stories online.

• Posted

I have rescued cats for over 50 years and never got a worm from them. Basically you have to be in contact with their fecal matter and put your hand in your mouth to be contaminated. You can also get certain worms by walking barefooted. The only way you can get infected by eating food that was licked would be if the cat licked his but just prior to licking the food and even that would be a stretch.

By practicing proper hand washing and wearing shoes at all times you should be okay.

• Posted

The brain is a very powerful thing, first you need to relax yourself and make yourself understand nothing will happen, consult a doctor and ask the consequences. Never panic, when you panic you get anxiety which is not good for your health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.