Paranoid about appendicitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

For some reason these past few months have just been me completely freaking out over appendicitis. I can't stop looking up symptoms, personal experiences, warning signs, etc. I've been having on and off pain in my gut for about three months, and the pain usually moves around after a few days. Earlier this week I had it right behind the navel, like an occasional needle prick right in the middle. I think I ate an IBS trigger food over the weekend or something. The pain subsided in a day or two, but last night I started having achy pains in my right hip area. No problem, I get those all the time. But this morning I woke up with pain just to the right of the navel. Not below or above, directly to the right. It sort of felt like a bad bruise or something like that. After that I had diarrhea.

Naturally I assumed the worst. It went something like, "Oh god, that's how appendicitis starts." Then I remembered the low-grade fever I had a day or two ago and almost cried. The pain is not excruciating and actually seems to have faded a bit, plus it doesn't hurt anywhere but just below the navel when I press on it (and it's not that painful), but I'm still terrified and would like some advice...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to add, the achy pain in my right side is sometimes not at the hip but higher up, in my ribcage. It feels like a pulled muscle or a bruise as well.
    • Posted

I’m having ongoing similar problems

I have been on antibiotics, not really helped much but over about 6 weeks pain under right rib,,poss gallstones I think..I know I have a lot of small ones in my gallbladder, but don’t often get attacks

very tender over navel area,...pain lower right over previous hernia repair and lower down, which  I

thinks is rumbling appendix...don’t feel ill, tho a few have said I look pale and a bit unwell

seems worse when moving carrying or pushing heavy shopping trolley.

dr said it was diverticulitis and gave me antibiotics.   Maybe she is right but I am not sure..

its not like constant pain, and I am going fro a pre op consultation befor a second bowel repair and have been told to list everything..so this should be more thorough than a 10 minute dr   Appt

who can’t cope with a lot symptoms at once as they are so busy  

my dr is nice but  these days they to concentrate understandably on getting the correct facts onto the computer and that takes up consultation time regrettably

good luck I wish you well

• Posted

Pain in your rib cage area is too high for your appendix.  It is lower down.
  • Posted

Your symptoms still sound like IBS.  Don't google anything; it is your anxiety telling you to focus on your appendix. Wait until the end of the month when all your tests are done.  If they are all negative, IBS is likely to be diagnosed.  Concentrate on what your doctor tells you because you are more likely to get an accurate diagnosis.  Google

cannot do this for you.   It will only give you a general overview but will not give you answers on your individual case.

My health anxiety focused on a different condition every day for the entire three months I waited for diagnosis.  Health anxiety is fuelled by googling your symptoms.  Instead, list all your worries when you see your doctor and ask for reassurance that you don't have these conditions.  I did this, and it helped me.  Negative tests will also rule out conditions and will give you physical proof that you don't have them.  My best advice is trust your doctor,and your negative tests, do not worry and don't google symptoms.  If you have IBS, worry will make it worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.