Paranoid about heart health

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi,

first of all i mean no offence to anyone who is affected by any heart issues for real because i know it can be frustrating when someone who doesnt actually have anything is scared of it. Basically, in April my mum died from heart complications (she had a hole in her heart and i think some blocked arteries) at 47, which isnt that old. I already had mild health anxiety but this just caused it to augment massively and become an issue. Her father died when she was 4 from heart issues and all his brothers and sisters died from similar issues involving the heart. I know its ridiculous to worry now at 16 years of age but i am so terrified of dying young and from heart difficulties or just even having heart difficulties. I should probably mention my mum smoked and had a problem with drinking which definitely didnt help her but I am just terrified. I get scared of exercise in case i have chest pains, everytime i get a mild chest pain i get terrified and that just makes it worse. I really cant live like this anymore and I was wondering if anyone could help. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If I where in you're shoes I would be scared as well. My dad died of a heart attack but he had diabetes and didn't take his meds. Heart disease does not run in my family much but I felt something was not right and had my heart checked and found I have diastolic dysfunction. Also known as a stiff heart I'm told. It's nothing to be to concered about in my case. I just need to lose more weight and quit smoking. I have been able to lose weight and have slowed the smoking. I'm 37. In you're case even though you are only 16, heart problems apparently run in you're family and you have every right to be scared. I'm not sure where you're from but talk to you're doctor and try to get in and see a cardiologist. See if they can do a stress test with an echocardiogram. Stress test is running on a treadmill hooked up to an ekg machine and blood pressure machine so they can see how you're heart does under strain. An echocardiogram also called an echo. Is an ultrasound of you're heart. It will show how you're heart functions, if its functioning properly and if there are any abnormalities. But try not to stress because you'll only make you're anxiety worse and that can cause stress on the heart. Try to do something you love to do to keep distracted until you can get in with the doctors and were all here if you need us.

• Posted

Your doctor knowing your family history your doctor is the one to help and should refer you for tests.

Google on the lines of " Children from families with history of heart disease " and you should find some links. If only you were a young footballer. They all get extensive heart testing as several players had heart problems that were not found until a problem had developed.

• Posted

Hi!

Although you are young it is understandable given your family's medical history you would be concerned.

I think it is great that you are being proactive!

Heart problems affected 7 of my dad's siblings. One died in his 30s of a sudden heart attack. Likewise my dad died from heart related complications, but he lived til 79 and quit drinking & smoking in his 50s.

He took his medications faithfully and kept all his medical appointments.

I was diagnosed with permanent afib at 55...one of the heart conditions my dad had. I am vigilant about taking my meds and keeping appointments.

I have a neice who is a physician's assistant. She has advised our family that due to a significant history of heart disease we should begin to get monitored as early as our 30s...sooner if we have symptoms.

So you may be a little young for a full cardiac work up, but on the right path by questioning what you should do given your history.

I'd suggest talking to your family doctor and see what he advises...

Best of luck!

Kathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.