Parathyroid

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi, i'm having my op on the 29th of September as i have a tumour in my lower right parathyroid gland. Can anyone give me better news than it will take 2 months to recover. I live on my own and concerned about managing daily tasks. I also travel to visit my little granddaughter and wouldn't want to miss seeing her for two months . 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne,I had one lower parathyroid gland removed last October and I recovered 

• Posted

Hi Anne,I had a lowerParathyroid gland removed at the end of October last year and recovered very quickly,back to normal within about three weeks and my scar is barely visible now. I was 75 at the time.
  • Posted

I had a discussion with my consultant this week, pre surgery for hyperparathyroid and he said most people are starting to feel better at 48 hours post surgery, not fixed but improving symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi!

I had my surgery back in May 2017.   I recovered immediately. I was able to walk a few miles the next day and worked out in the gym two days later. I did have some soreness and tightness in the neck area but nothing too bad.  That lasted a couple of weeks but it didn't interfere with my daily routine. .... I wish you all the best. Please let us know how everything went. 

• Posted

Hi Anne apparently it's different for everyone. As others have mentioned some feel great improvements immediately whilst it varies widely for others. Expectations are usually very high and I suppose this colours how you feel after if all of your symptoms don't just disappear. Read some of the comments  on the hyperpara site (with the blue butterfly emblem) they are SO helpful. I just wish my husband could get a date for op -  his consultant seems to think it's not appropriate as  he had a stent procedure last year. Good luck and I would love to hear how your recovery goes xx

• Posted

Hello all, I've just found out I have got parathyroidism and need surgery. I am feeling worried about how soon I will be able to get to work. I have three horses and 11 cats that need daily care, plus work full time. What are the most common reactions to after-surgery? I've heard some tiredness and face tingling sensations occur, but is it so bad that one needs to take weeks off work?

Also out of curiosity, has anyone every heard of other ways to treat hyperparathyroidism apart from surgery?

• Posted

Hi,

Let me start by saying that I am not a doctor so my opinion here is based on my own experiences and my own research on hyperparathyroidism. ..... From what I read, there is no other treatment for this disease other than surgery. With regard to post-op, as you can see here in this thread, most people bounced back quickly. Of course, every body reacts differently so there's no guarantee you will react the same. As I stated in an earlier post, I felt fine almost immediately. I only had some soreness in the neck area but that was it. ... I wish you the best and let us know how everything turned out. 

• Posted

Hi Sue thanks yes after a bit of searching on google I think surgery is really the only cure. I will let you know how I cope after the surgery. Did you have to get the sestimibi scan at all? I'm getting that done tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.