Parathyroid symptoms, don't know what to do

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I went to the GP last month with some symptoms and was referred for bloods. I've had them and a few of my readings have come back high:

Serum calcium 2.58 mmol/L

Serum albumin 52 g/L

AST serum 37 u/L

I've also had a few symptoms of hyperparathyroidism:

No energy, feeling generally rubbish a lot of the time, depression for the last 2 years (almost), palpitations, irritability, mental fog, aches and pains etc. And of course my AST has come back high..

I'm not a doctor, but I do work in healthcare so I'm trying not to diagnose myself but do know about endocrine disorders, and I wanted other people's opinions on it.

My GP phoned yesterday to say she's confused (quite frankly) by my readings as I'm slim and young (23 yr old female) so she wants the tests repeated in roughly 1 month to see if the readings are anomalies.

I want to speak to her re hyperparathyroidism, but I don't want her to think I'm over exaggerating, yet if I am suffering from PHPT I want it sorted out (of course) because I'm sick of feeling so awful!

So opinions and advice please, I'm going to book in for further bloods in roughly 3 weeks which will be a full month since the last tests, not sure what else to do.

Appreciate all your support.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue.  I'm not a doctor but everything you've said points to hyperparathyroidism.  I would recommend you join Sallie Powells' Facebook group as it contains a wealth of information and provides great support for PTH sufferers.  Just google 

"HyperparathyroidismUKActionforChange" and you'll get there.  Best wishes.  Alan.

• Posted

Hi Alan

I heard about Sally's group and got in touch with her via twitter. She explained it no longer runs. It's a huge shame because I really wanted to talk to others to see how our stories and symptoms etc compare and to get support with this.

If the next bloods are still abnormal then I will be speaking to my doctor about hyperparathyroidism

• Posted

It still runs Sue. I've already been on it this morning. I guess someone else is replying on Twitter.  Alan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.