Parathyroid tumors and memory loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 3 years ago I started having problems with short term memory and what I call foggy brain. About 4 weeks ago I had 2 parathyroids removed that had extremely large tumors. The surgeon estimated that they were growing for 10 t0 15 years. My calcium and hormone levels were off the chart. Is it possible that my memory problems could be caused by this.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I have googled this and calcium levels do appear to affect memory and transmission of info in the brain. See http://www.progressivehealth.com/calcium-and-its-affects-on-memory.htm

Also on parathyroid.com there is an indication that memory is affected. I am awaiting my surgery. 

Hope that helps 

Angela 

• Posted

Thank you much for your info. Good luck on your upcomming surgery. There are so many things doctors do not tell you. Make sure to ask and receive answers to any questions you might have.

Best wishes, 

Larkie

• Posted

You are welcome Larkie and thank you. May I ask what were the worst things the doctors didn't tell you?! Gulp....

Angie 

• Posted

What the doctors didn't tell me was a loss in appetite, weakness in walking, foggy brain, loss of interest in most things. When I finally asked my surgeon about this he told me this could last up to 6 months. That eventually I will feel much better as my calcium levels get back to normal. It seems we both had no choice, the removal of bad parathyroids is necessary. Again good luck.

Larkie

• Posted

Hi Larkie, thank you for the kind reply. I trust these feelings and symptoms were present before the op and not just after it? 

I have fatigue; headaches; muscle aches and kidney stones which are my main symptoms. 

Yes I know I have to get it sorted. How was your op done ? Do you have a big scar or did they manage to do the mini op?

Only if you don't mind my asking. 

Have a great day 

Angela 

• Posted

Hi Do you go hot, a bit like hot sweats? They happen in the day and night. Don't know if thats a symptom. Got my appointment for the dye scan next week the same day as the ultrasound,  very convenient!  

Shirley

• Posted

I CAN SAY FOR SURE THAT THE SYMPTONS YOU DESCRIBE WILL BE GONE AFTER YOUR SURGERY. It may take several months but you will be the better for it. If at all possible try to find a surgeon that does minable invasive surgery. I had 2 parathyroids with very large tumors removed. The entire operation took 18 minutes. You cannot see any scar. Don't worry, you will come through this just fine.

Larkie

• Posted

My memory has got worse but put it down to getting older! How do you feel after surgery? There's a lot of symptoms I get but my consultant brushes them off. I know my own body.

Shirley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.