Parent of SVT kiddo

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have posted once before...

I am the parent of a 2 year old SVT patient. This is something that actually started at 32 weeks gestation. She was delivered via c-section at 34 weeks because doctors could not get her heart to convert in utero. We were averaging an ER trip about every 3 months - adenosine to convert, cardio converted 3 times. I think we have finally found a drug combo that works for her. She went 6 months without an event!! I think we didn't increase her dosage soon enough, which caused her last break through. She is on weighted increases, gain x lbs increase meds.

Now that she is getting older we might be able to try some converting measures at home before heading to the ER. So, I would like to know what are some ways you are able to convert yourself. Ice does not work, and personally I think that way is awful! We are not quite ready for blowing through a straw or bearing down. But, I would like to k ow other options worth trying.

I would also like to know how some of these medications make you feel. She's 2 - not quite able to tell me how her meds make her feel. We see our cardiologist every 3 months. She takes atenolol and flecainide every day. She will most likely have an ablation when she reaches 9 or 10, so beta blockers are our reality for awhile.

Thanks!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

One thing that helps me is to lay on my right side and bring my legs right up so that my knees are up to my chest, Kinda in the fetal position, Try to breathe calmly

How sad for your sweet little girl

• Posted

My med can make me feel tired...so it's been lowered. That's great news that your daughter went 6 months wo having an episode.

• Posted

kelli

if you go on facebook there is a group on there for svt for children, they are probably the best ones to ask, if you have trouble finding it go on the svt group and they should be able to  direct you.  

• Posted

I agree with Lolasmom.

Lying down and trying to mimic falling asleep is what always works for me.

Letting your arms and legs feel all loose and not panicing (easier said than done especially with a little one). 

Trying to get into that meditative zone can help, but everyone is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.