Parents do not understand

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Im 16 years old and have suffered with insomnia/sleep anxiety for 2 years now. Basically, it sounds stupid but every night I worry that I wont sleep and then I will be more anxious for the next night and then I wont sleep and will eventually die.. I usually take 4 one a night nitols if I dont sleep but they have stopped working recently and i dont wanna take anymore incase I overdose, so if anyone knows of any other over the counter sleeping tablets (ones that can knock you out) that would be great. Anyway, my mum thinks its nothing and that I need to 'move past it' she makes me feel really s**t. I dropped out of school because I was so sleep deprived and paranoid, dropped out of college and now i have just got a full time job working at Next where my mum works. (Great.) I didnt sleep at all last night as I was worrying about the time I had to be in work and got myself worked up and didnt want to go (its my second day there today). I felt so anxious I was throwing up, I just wanted to relax. She made me go in but luckily I managed to finish at 12 instead of 5. Anyway, basically my mum is turning me suicidal. She doesnt support me whatsoever, just makes me want to die even when thats the very thing im scared of! She makes me feel s**t about myself like I will never achieve anything. If it wasnt for my boyfriend I would be dead right now, he is the only one who understands and keeps me on my feet. I told her I dont know if this job is good for me at this time. I need a break, she then told me this morning that 'I give up in everything and I will never get a job if I quit this one' thing is i am scared that if I carry on with this job Im pushing myself over my limit. I want a break to restore my health but my parents wont let me.. any advice or has anyone been/going through something like this? sad x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi sophie1079

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi Sophie

I can assure you that you will not die! Are you taking 4 one a night tablets all together as if so that is far too many. You should be only taking one a night and then not long term. You do sound very anxious which is not helping with not sleeping. Have you thought of having a chat with your GP ? Do hope you feel better soon. It’s nice you have a nice supportive boyfriend 

• Posted

Hi, I do take 4 at once but only on really bad nights. I am going to book an appointment with my GP tomorrow to see what can help. Thank you for your kind words, means a lot to me. Hopefully things for me will get better soon smile x
    • Posted

Please don’t worry you will get better. I have had a sleeping problem for years so do sympathise.  Spill out everything to the Dr I did when I was  at my lowest. 

You are not alone with this and forums like this help a lot x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.