Paroxetine 40mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, new to this site and looking for some advice if possible? i have been on paroxetine 40mg for 10 years it changed my life for the better!! However over the last 1/12 -2 years ive suffered severe hip pains that travel down my legs i cant describe this pain other than agony! i saw a post similar and wondered if this could be the paroxetine? I am also keen to taper off this due to wanting to try for a baby but not sure if this is wise? i would be grateful for any advice, Thankyou.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I was on paroxetine for 16 years and have finally managed to come off it. It's taken me two years, had to be done at a snail's pace. I was advised to come off it when I was pregnant, it was then that I learnt this isn't a drug to be messed with. It has the worst side effects. I too had leg/hip pain, said, flu like symptoms, dizziness to name a few. I'm literally only one week clear of it and feeling better already

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me so quick, i will speak with my gp about tapering off this, i have the worst sweats constantly also with paroxetine and altho i have these symptoms im really undure about coming off it as it really did change my life i hate to think where i would have been without it! glad u are feeling better x

• Posted

HI

I Have taken Paroxatene probably 20 + years now and I know 2 things. It has been said that weaning off the drug is comparable to weaning off heroine. I Tried once and failed.

The second thing I learned is that it can cause erectile issues in men.

I my case - TRUE again.

• Posted

Those are both very true statements. I literally came off at half a ml per month it was that slow. It numbs all your emotions. Good luck with future efforts, I'm happy to help if I can x

• Posted

Hi there,

Very interested in your post Michael. I put a post on this site a while ago asking for advice about Paroxetine as my partner has been taking 40mg -60mg for many years after a terrible time in his life, he needed them.

Yes this drug does effect not only sexual function but yes it also numbs the emotions to the extent that every thought is slowed down.

My partner is trying to get advice on changing to another antidepressant which does not have such cruel side effects. His life has changed for the better recently and he feels ready for the transition.

Have you or anyone on here advice on how to reduce safely from these tablets? or any forums other than this which may help him.

Cheers,

• Posted

Hi there, my advice would be to get a really nice gp who fully understands the half life of paroxetine. I am a week off and was on 20mg, it took me 2 years. X

• Posted

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice, my partner is seeing his new GP and hoping to get the right advice from her.

I am aware it will take a while to wean off, he has tried before and failed.

But that was because of the effects on sexual function, so important. It seems the very time we need to be close to our partners in that way a doctor puts us on the one drug that prevents this.!!!

You have done fantastically well to come off, Congrats. Well done

• Posted

I was on Paxil for years, it numbs you to emotions I feel...Going off Paxil took time and I had heart palpations for a long time months...Do it slowly but you will feel better in time.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, i have been up all night again with severe hip pain going down my leg can this really be from paroxetine?? i am seeing my gp this morning at 9am to discuss tapering off these but really scared as this medication has been amazing for my mental health but think after 10 years i have had all i can get? the sweating is too much now so i need to even try halfing the dose to see if it works? Thanks again all x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.