Paroxetine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi every1.. just after a bit of advice... i came off paroxetine around 3 month ago....and i am still getting crazy dizziness and headaches thats arnt headaches...any1 else out there that can relate??

Am going crazy... theres never a day where a dont feel poorly!!!! HELP

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerrie

Welcome to my world. I know exactly how you feel. I haven't had a day recently where I haven't felt poorly. I have also suffered terrible bouts of weeping at the slightest thing.

I was very tempted to go back on to paroxetine but I feel I have come this far and I am sure it will get better.

You are not on your own.

Jax x

• Posted

I have also learned the hard way that you need to taper EXTREMELY slowly from these meds. I have read that tapering 10% from your most recent dose is the safest way to go. That is where I am right now. Am currently at 8mg and doing pretty well. You may need to reinstate at a small dose, like 5mg or less and then wait to stabilize before trying to slowly taper. This has been my experience as well as that of many others from what I have found through my research online. You may want to google ssri withdrawal and see what you find.

Good luck!

• Posted

Paroxetine is the most difficult SSRI to come off. I assume you didn't quit cold turkey but taper off... slowly. If this is the case and you still feel the withdrawal symptoms, there are few things that can help.

?1. Diet. You feel bad because your body got used to the elevated serotonin levels and now it cannot readjust. Make sure you eat plenty of foods containing 5-hydroxytryptophan (also known as 5-HTP). It is a precursor for the synthesis of serotonin in the brain. In USA you can get in OTC in any pharmacy, in UK... well... eat plenty of chocolate. Dark chocolate.

2. Exercise. Physical exercise helps. I realise that it may be hard to run a marathon while you feel like fainting, but start with simple things. Maybe go for a walk? Exposure to sunlight will also help to balance melatonin levels, which contribute to the way you feel (probably you didn’t get much good sleep on paroxetine, did you?)

3. Some of the unofficial supplements can help. Piracetam is one of these, it displays a neuroprotective action and also helps to re-balance some mood-related receptors in the brain (though it is not related in any way to serotonin).

4. See a psychiatrist and complain about the withdrawal side effects. Someone prescribed you with paroxetine and now someone should take the responsibility for how you feel. A low dose of bupropion taken for a few months could be beneficial, also you could ask for diazepam and use it when necessary. It’s not a cure, but – if used properly – it could help.

Anyway, do not give up. It is difficult, but it is not an addiction. It may take a while, but you WILL heal. Don’t lose hope.

• Posted

Hi kerri.

Feel for you. I am experiencing the same. We are not alone and not going mad . I was doing ok taking probiotics , . Vit b vit d with magnesuim and 5htp. Stopped taking supplements and feel terrible again. Everyone is different but i have just started to take the supplements again. I did research and the replies you got were really more dcientific that me...i am not a doctor. Sending you a virtual hug...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.