Paroxetine antidepressasnts and orlistat

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there

I was considering taking orlistat but am concerned as to whether they will interact with my antideprassants im only on half a tablet 10mg its these things that have out the weight on im desperate to loose it again

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shazza

Orlistat can be used in conjunction with Paroxetine, if you do a wee online search, you will find some articles on it.

Kirsty :D

• Posted

If you change your anti depressants to PROZAC they are actually used in bulimia for appetite suppressants. I have been on them in the past & they do suppress the appetite, so if you take them with Orlistat you will have a double chance of losing weight.
  • Posted

hi there

im on cipralex and just been prescribes orlistat - is that safe combination?

• Posted

Hi All

Just read these few messages about orlistat and antidepressants, and want to re-assure everyone on anti-depressants that orlistat does not interact with your medication, whichever one you are taking. My doc was very thorough in her research and assurance of this with me. This is because the orlistat works before it has reached your stomach/intestines (don't know the full technicalities of it, but it doesn't reach your stomach and therefore cannot react with the medication taken, even if you have had a runny bum!).

I have been on anti-depressants for nearly 7 years, ( and yes I firmly believe it has caused me to become fatter, as i was very slim before my problems started), and I have taken various medications during this time. Personally I found prozac didn't work for me, so would try to talk anyone out of changing their medication as a way to help encourage weight loss. That is just crazy.Prozac was used as an antidepressant for me, while I was also suffering bulimia, and it did not work for either, so please do not change medication just to try to repress your appetite. I cannot stress that enough. everyone reacts differently to different types of antidepressants, as well as us all having different reactions to the orlistat.

Sorry to get on my high horse, but I am very passionatte about this particular subject. Stay with your medication, unless you feel it isn't working for you, and if so then go back to the docs and discuss it with her. Prozac isn't right for everyone.

Hope this helps.....

Trish x

• Posted

Hi trish

thanks for that - prozac was only anti dep that doesnt put weight on but it doesnt sgree with me - im so much bigger for the anti depressants and its a vicious cirlce as i need them but being fat makes me depressed - what tablets are u on , and does the xenical help u lose weight

• Posted

HI Bab

I'm currently on Citalopram (20mg per day), and have been on these for 3 years - which coincides with when I started putting on weight. Previously I was on prozac and then fluoxetine, which is part of the prozac group. I've been on my orlistat tablets two and a half weeks, and so far I lost 3.5 pounds the first week and nothing since then. I feel i'm in the same vicious circle - need the tablets but they make me put on weight, then get more depressed, so need the tablets etc etc

Trish

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.