Paroxetine Nightmare.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

7 months ago I was taken off citalopram and put on paroxetine, initially on 20mg.

After running out a few months later I decided to stop altogether. After 2 weeks and the " brain zaps"

Which I found bloody terrifying and so unpleasant I returned to the docs and he put me back on them but upped the dose to 30mg!!! Made no comment about the "zaps" just said you cannot just stop taking these drugs. ( The past year or so is the only time I have taken anti depressants for anxiety so my knowledge of them was limited to say the least).

I continued to take the paroxetine, after 3 months at that dosage I took an overdose, never felt so low in all my life, a week later I did it again. That was 2 weeks ago just over. I have never had any suicidal tendencies even when I was diagnosed with anxiety.

Since then I have not touched them, and am awaiting counselling. I have felt calmer and more myself than I have done since I started taking the damn things!! Ironically since I went cold turkey my mum passed away after a battle with cancer and I have started a new job. I have made an appt with my doctor but have made it crystal clear I will not be taking them or any form of anti depressant again.

I am getting the zaps again and they are tedious and could last, but I am coping with them by not dwelling when I get one. I have found that they are worse when I first get up, once I am up and around aand at work they seem to ease off a great deal and just occur infrequently through the day. When I am sat down they are regular but if I do not make sudden movements....obviously I hope once it's all out of my system this will ease off, this drug is very very unpleasant and none of the awful withdrawal symptoms are made clear by the doctor. Even when the dosage is lowered and people are weaning off it they are getting awful withdrawal symptoms. So I may as well carry on as I am ( 26 years ago my mum went cold turkey off anti depressants and succeeded. If she could do it I can)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hiya lise,

dont worry the 'brain zaps' are common when coming off SSRIs, paroxetine (seroxat) is notorious for nasty withdrawls when coming off them, it wont last long now cheesygrin

theres a risk of suicide ideation with all SSRIs in some people, so your not alone, stick with it, the counseling, if you get a good therapist can be very efective, just carry on as you are doing, keep busy, keep yourself distracted, good luck, youll get therecheesygrin

cheers,

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the positive response, it really does get easier everyday and is marvellous being able to think clearly again. Very much worth tolerating the brain zaps. Keeping so busy noticing them less and less. Or maybe slowly easing off smile

Lisa

• Posted

I have been on Seroxat for depression for years and very thankful for them i was. They helped me quickly and i only now get the odd bout of depression that isnt so severe, or long. I was surprised when i recently went to my Doc and asked why my partner had been put on other antidepressants (also SSRI's) and not Seroxat. He said that Seroxat was quite addictive to try to come off? thats the first ive ever heard of this? i thought they were supposed to be not too addictive? thats what they told me at the time of giving them to me by a psychiatrist....although granted it was way back in 1992.
  • Posted

What by the way is a "brain Zap"....i wonder if i get this on seroxat. im not saying what i get until i understand what it is?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.