Paroxetine or sertraline

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I was on paroxetine for anxiety for 5 years i weaned off over 6 months and was ok. Paroxetine really worked for me. I started badly with anxiety and this time horrendous OCD , my doctor said to try sertraline 50mg as they no longer like to prescribe paroxetine. The sertraline doesn't seem to be working I've only been on it 3 weeks and I know it's slow working but I'm really not coping. I see my doctor on Monday to discuss what the way forward is and I don't know whether to stick with sertraline a bit longer or ask to go back to paroxetine which worked last time , although I didn't have OCD last time.

Any advice please x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, only just read your post. This is of particular interest to me as I take Paroxetine (been taking for 23 years!). The main reason I started on it was for severe OCD. It has definitely helped with OCD. I think also with anxiety and depression.

I know it’s not often prescribed any more (presumably because of all the horror stories about side effects and withdrawal). Sertroline does seems to be the preferred drug at present. I’ve read up on it, and it does say it helps with OCD. So I was thinking of maybe switching to that myself. But after reading your post, that may not be a good idea.

I would have thought you should have had some improvement after 3 weeks. Your GP will no doubt argue about this. If you are finding it hard to cope, then my opinion is that you should insist on going back to Paroxetine. I came off it once 17 years ago, and tried another drug, Effexor, briefly. I was going out of my mind whilst taking that! So went back to Paroxetine. I’ve stayed on it ever since.

Please let me know what you decide to do.

• Posted

Hi Purpleheather

My OCD is really dreadful at the moment it's 4weeks tomorrow since I started sertraline and although I've had a couple of good days im still obsessing dreadfully.

I go back to my doctor tomorrow so will discuss my options moving forwards. A lot of people stress to me that the sertraline can take 6 to 8 weeks to work so maybe I need to be a bit more patient or possibly increase to 75mg. I know that paroxetine worked a lot quicker for me and seemed to suit as it seems to have some for you. I just want some quality of life back.

Will let you know what happens. Take care xx

• Posted

Hi julie 73211

Hope you have seen your Doc by now.  But please do discuss any possible problems with coming off Seroxat if you do decide to take that medication again.  Can you get person to person support and help with any of your issues to have in conjunction with the medication so that you don't need to have Seroxat etc for years?  Perhaps one thing isn't enough and you need a few types of help together.  Could you discuss this with your doctor?

I do think support and medication together are more successful.

• Posted

Hi Lesley

Yes I saw my doctor yesterday, he has upped my sertraline to 100mg from 50mg, he said he thought there should of been some improvement by now so is giving it another 4 weeks at the higher dose and hopefully will get a result. If not then he said to revert back to paroxetine in January as they worked last time , although I didn't have this OCD last time.

I am starting an anxiety group next Tuesday , once a week for an hour, for 6 weeks so I'm hoping that will help, also in on the waiting list for CBT

Thanks for your concern Lesley, take care x

• Posted

Hi Julie

I'm so glad you saw your doctor and have decided what to do now.  It's good too that you will get something else as well as medication, as I'm sure this will be beneficial.  I did an anxiety management course the other year and it has helped me a lot as now I have some strategies to try when I'm very anxious.  It takes a lot of working at, but I think I'm better able to manage some bits of anxiety because of this.  Obviously it isn't a cure.  But it does help me!  I do have to work at my strategies though.  CBT might be very helpful too.  

Do keep on going.  I know it's hard and we do have to keep on trying, and sometimes that is a big ask.  But I wish you every success and hope you get some light at the end of your tunnel.  Good luck.  Never forget how amazing you are!

Look after yourself - you matter!

Best wishes

Lesley

xx

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

Thank you so much for your advice and support. I will keep on going and hopefully get back to my old self.

I hope you are coming at the moment,

Look after yourself lovely lady as you matter too xx

• Posted

Coping not coming bloody predictive text haha xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.