Paroxetine / Seroxat withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 41 users are following.

after being on the anti depressant Seroxat for 21 years, I am now coming off it, my doctor says must do this gradually. I am now taking 10mg every other day for 1 month then hopefully continue with maybe two 10 mg each week.

However I am having symptoms of withdrawal, I feel like I have a bees nest in my head, continuous buzzing then occasionally a feelin like an electric shock with a definite ping sound. 

I do not have this when lying down at night but I cannot lay down all day!

Has anyone else sffered this and if yes then how long will it last?

5 likes, 147 replies

147 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

A summary: Was on 10mg Seroxat (paroxetine) for about 20 years. Seven weeks ago, started having bad dizziness and nausea, which I thought was labyrinthitis. But anxiety started to set in. GP stopped the paroxetine abruptly and put me on Sertraline (no weaning off Seroxat). No effect after a week. So then (11 days ago), he changed it to 15mg Mirtazapine. I have gone downhill throughout. GP says I didn't need to be weaned off the paroxetine as the medications are all SSRIs. Had horrendous nightmares, crying every day, scared of insanity. Now, head has the overwhelming "whooshing" and ears ringing worse than ever - I only ever used to get this whooshing in the head if I missed a tablet one or two nights. As others have said, it's like a wasps' nest. It's been hell. I'm sure the downward spiral has been caused by cold turkey paroxetine withdrawal, despite what the gp says.  Gp suggested trying citalopram.  Very reluctant to try any more SSRIs. Having counselling now and CBT.  Can't rely on SSRIs and yet even more chemicals chucked into the mix. Head must be messed up with all these changes. A detox is only way. Unable to work full time at mo as social anxiety and tearfulness have overtaken my life with all the fears. But head can't deal with chemicals any more. It'll take time. Surely GP was wrong to stop the paroxetine so abruptly and replace with three other SSRIs one after another? They don't even issue Seroxat any more because it's so hard to be weaned off off (as seen on a recent BBC documentary). 

My GP yesterday did, to his credit, suggest coming off SSRIs completely and stick to Propanalol to deal with the anxiety (a kind of very low-dose beta blocker). 

My counsellor also suggested this (to discuss with GP, of course). It's impossible to see mental health experts when you need them most, unless you go private. Maybe eventually some herbal remedies will be beneficial too. 

So this is what I'm doing - not taking any SSRIs. I refuse. 

The last seven weeks or so have been appalling - horrific nightmares, panic attacks, the bees' nest in the head, and non-stop crying, and fears of going insane, losing everything, losing my job and income (my boss at work has been absolutely fantastic ), worthlessness, letting everyone down, and fears of never being able to leave the house or be normal again. 

I've been in the grip of terror as I fall asleep in the middle of the night, screaming for help at 2am. Do I want to continue in this way? No. So I'm going to try and detox, which I fear will take time and there will be difficult times, but I think it's the only way forward, in conjunction with counselling and CBT, to address many issues in the past that raised their ugly head recently and have never been dealt with. 

Got to fight it.

• Posted

Hi Croydonbee

Your message conveys the frustration and hopelessness we all seem to feel when trying to withdraw/stop taking Seroxat. I'm so sorry this is happening to you and I empathise completely.

I tried switching Seroxat for venlafaxine but ended up back at the surgery in tears after two weeks and begging to switch back, which I did. I felt all the things you describe and I couldn't stand to feel that way. My sleep hasn't been the same since, despite going back to a slightly higher dose of Seroxat and I wonder if it will ever go back to normal.

My current situation is that I stopped taking Seroxat ten days ago and have switched to Prozac. Have had the usual side effects and have spent most of today in bed with a bad headache. I think one of the the main issues when stopping seroxat is the sleep problems. I have been taking zopiclone to help but feel I'm just swapping one drug for another. The dreams are horrendous and I wonder whether I'm actually getting any deep sleep at all.

I'm going to persevere with the Prozac for a few more weeks - I hope. My GP feels that if I can keep going with it, it will be much easier to then wean off that completely. Is that something you could perhaps try? Prozac has a much longer half life than Seroxat which - apparently - makes it easier to withdraw. I completely understand why you want to be rid of all medication, but you do need to take care of yourself and be as gentle as possible.

I think the fact that no-one knows how long the side effects will last is what makes it so much harder. My head knows that the Seroxat has stopped and I know that taking one will make most of the unpleasant side effects disappear...

Like many people have said, I think some of us do need extra serotonin, like a diabetic needs insulin, but I'm not sure that Seroxat was actually doing anything beneficial for me any more. But after 20+ years, maybe I just cannot live without it.

• Posted

Yes you can! It's early days so be patient and know it will get better.  I've done a month cold turkey and there is light at the end of that tunnel! Suicidal thoughts, anger, impatience and frustration easing today. What tomorrow brings, heaven knows but I hope you get good moments? If you do, they can be multiplied & hopefully, someday outweigh the bad times! Don't despair.. From someone who knows..🌷

• Posted

Hi I'm new to this site. I have been on seroxat for 23 years. Have tried numerous times to get off but just can't do it. I currently take 30 mg and have been trying to go to 25 and then dropping down to 20. Don't intend stopping altogether as know cannot do it. I am 73 and visited doctor 23 yes ago with headaches following stress at work. Because I was tearful during the consultation doctor said I think you are depressed about and gave this awful drug. I feel if she had given me a a week or so off work that would have been better. So here I am 23 years later stuck this awful drug which has done nothing much for me except to make me addicted. I know I won't come off it now at my age. I feel very bitter about this and all the problems I have suffered with as a result of this poison. I wish there was some help for us all and that someone could invent something to ease the pain of withdrawal. My thoughts are with you all x x

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Brenda.

If they work I would think it's OK to stay on them regardless of addiction.  I found they no longer worked & decided to go cold Turkey which is horrific.

If they worked I would have no qualms staying on them. If they keep you sane and balanced don't worry about the addiction facet.

I always thought they were my life savers and would have continued forever but alas...  Hope you have no bad side effects. 🌷

• Posted

Hi Brenda

I was also prescribed Seroxat over 20 years ago but I feel the GP was right to prescribe them as they changed my life. I think, however, that there is still a problem with some GPs being far too quick to offer antidepressants to people who, like yourself, are tearful during a consultation, when really they probably just need a bit of a break.

I have never taken more than 20mg and successfully reduced this to 10mg and stayed at this dose without any problems. I think if you reduce by 5mg and you're feeling ok after at least a week on this dose, then you could reduce by 5mg again. You just need to be guided by how you're feeling.

My problems started when I tried to reduce from 10mg so eventually I went onto the liquid paroxetine and cut down by 1ml (equivalent to 1mg) at a time. I can't remember how long it took but I eventually got down to 4ml (4mg). For some reason, I was completely unable to reduce any further, without my head fragmenting and I ended up deciding that I would just remain on 10mg.

So please don't feel you have to stick to it forever. If you manage to keep reducing by even small amounts, then hopefully that will make you feel better and if you get to a sticking point, well, ultimately that's ok, isn't it? If reducing isn't causing negative effects, just keep going carefully and slowly until it does. Most importantly, be kind to yourself.

Xx

• Posted

My second day of cold turkey. Just on propanalol now. Not much sleep. Heart was racing quite a lot. Was afraid I'd have a panic attack but it held off. Wasps' nest constantly in my head and dizzy. But GP said not to go back on paroxetine. The mirtazapine fir me was evil and induced mania  even after a few days. I'm going to fight through thus. Run, sweat etc. I feel a tad more human. Going to be s long journey 

• Posted

Good for you! I'm in same boat and sick of crying. Hope all horrible feelings pass. Propranolol? Is it effective?🌷

• Posted

48 hours now. But the mania etc has gone. Head still whooshing and the threat of tears is there, but it's better than it was for now. Mirtazapine for me is a poison. Might help others, though.

The Propanalol is ok - you can take it a few hours before an event or any situation that is worrying you. It's a very low-dose beta blocker and not harmful or addictive. In the meantime, gave you tried CBT?  Might help to provide you with methods to cope with anxiety (but guess you have to feel able and more stable first). And try counselling too if you can. Private sessions are about £45 an hour. Can't wait ninths for NHS service. 

Early days. 

Please keep me informed. 

I know all about the tears. - I was crying uncontrollably over things like seeing s photo of me with my daughter when she was young, any association with happier times, my elderly lovely mum who is in a care home etc. Even crying over phone cheating to my boss over my condition., and over the fear of being unable to work ever again. 

Do keep me updated and I'm more than happy to share with all your woes. It does help to share. We're not alone. 

Good luck 

Nige

• Posted

Tks Nige. My partner is trained in CBT /TFT/EFT  but I could happily strangle him at present!!

Had one session of acupuncture & find it good. One needs 3-4 sessions for greater impact. 

My fuses are quite short.  Also reading about Voltage therapy. 

Dr. Jerry Tennant...worth a look. 🌷

• Posted

Hiya. Probably best to separate proper help from partners or friends?  I have heard about voltage therapy. Hypnotherapy can be good too.

With a wasps' best of a head, I went with my wife to my son's girlfriend's house earlier for Sunday dinner. Was really struggling, with anxiety intensifying up to sitting down. Had to tell them I was poorly. They gave me a tray to sit in other room. Suddenly was relieved. So damn ridiculous to suffer this. Got to deal with it somehow. No airs or graces there., but walked into the fear and felt so nauseous. Is it the thought that attention is on me?  Quite revealing. Also very very frustrating and debilitating 

• Posted

Sorry but that's funny! Maybe we should laugh at ourselves sometimes &not take ourselves too seriously? Hope they gave you a good stiff drink or at least a good glass of wine? If not, get one now and it will relax you! Go easy on yourself.

• Posted

Yeah, it sucks. I think alcohol just now would really mess me up. Paroxetine withdrawal after 20 years and stopping the poisonous Mirtazapine is flippin' scary. Tonight the panic is setting in again. Very scary. 

• Posted

Go to YouTube and get some relaxation / breathing, meditation stuff to listen to. It helps sleep.   Breathing exercises definitely help. Sleep well.🌷

• Posted

Just reading about sleep disorder and listening to Jean Bernard Fourtillan. Valentonin patch / melatonin might help deal with lack of sleep and early AM waking.? Has anyone tried it?
    • Posted

Thanks. 

Had a shocking night. Attacks every ten minutes until about 3am. Just as I drifted off, sudden tremors of panic and was shaken out of sleep. Was scared to go to sleep. Heart was racing. Tried all the breathing but was so desperate. I really don't know what to do. 

• Posted

That's very worrying! PLEASE go to an EFT therapist for Tapping. My partner does it for people and it REALLY  works (not for me now as I'm p****d off with him!). Don't know where you live but I'm sure you can find one not far from you. You can't go on like that without help. Is your wife helping or does she understand? You need to take a sleeping tab for a few nights to break the sleepless cycle.  Please go to a Therapist ASAP.  🌷🌷🌷

• Posted

I think the sleep problems are the main issue in seroxat withdrawal.

See if your GP will prescribe zopiclone. 7.5mg ensures I get a good night's sleep, seems to repress the horrendous dreams and I feel so much better the next day. It would be interesting to know if this also works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.