Paroxetine withdrawal

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on 40-50mg of paroxetine for about 15 years for Anxierty, Depression and Panic disorder.I also take Topiramate for Vestibular Migraines (headache with dizziness).

I have struggled with insomnia for a good 8 years. Recently i saw a new GP who suggested I try to change my medication to Mirtazipine as they are good for helping you sleep.

To be honest, the Paroxetine only just keep me on the knife edge so a swap was a good idea. She said to go from 40mg daily to 20mg daily for 4 days while taking the new 15mg Mirtazipine and then stop the Paroxetine and carry on with the Mirtazipine. Radical, i thought, but she is the doctor so i went with it.

What a total nightmare! After 6 days of no Paroxetine and just the 15mg of Mirtazipine I feel so ill. Some sort of weird head shocks every few seconds, day and night. Cant sleep or sit still at all Didnt sleep for 2 days and just paced constantly, feeling totally manic. Feel sick, bad headache, tired, skin is tingly and weird vision. Wish i'd left well alone!

I spoke to different GP who said go back on 20mg and see how i go and he will call me in a few days. Its been 3 days and I still feel really bad. Does anyone know how long it takes for the withdrawal to calm down, or should i go back up to the 40mg or even 30mg until the symptoms go away? I would really appreciate any help on how i can feel better.

Thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.