Paroxysmal AF

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering with P/AF since having ASD closed using Amplatzer device in 2000.I am 53.

?The epsisodes come and go and when Im having one they can last for up to 24 hrs.I generally feel OKish when having an attack although find it hard to do any form of exercise as can be a little breathless and I go very quiet and can become quite snappy with those around me..I also can feel very tired after an episode.

Over the last year for some reason the attacks have become more frequent.I was but on a 7 day monitor but didn't experience anything other than the odd extra beat and remained in sinus rhythm for the enitre period!

I am otherwise fit ,exercise frequently and have normal blood pressure.

?I am not currently on any meds however after visiting the cardiologist today he has now suggested I start taking flecainide and has advised that I should have regular ECG's because of any changes to QT length ( I think).He still doesn't think I should take any blood thinning meds as my CHAD-Vasc score is low..

?Im concernered about taking the flec as have read about some of the side affects.

?Anyone out there had a simiar experience or can reassure me about the furue on meds?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Interesting post and I wonder where you are as I've suffered PAF for about 12 years and no doctor has ever mentioned my CHAD-Vasc. I've posted before that my PAF started when I started taking BP meds (Ramipril then Candesartan). After a while it dawned that there must be a connection and I got my BP med changed to Bisoprolol. I still get elpisodes but far fewer than before. I'm prescribed Warfarin for life. My episodes now are about monthly always starting at night 3/4am lasting 30 hours.  Fortunately, like you, my episodes are not too debilitating but I'm tired for a day afterwards.

My CHAD-Vasc is 3 points, don't know whether that's low or not.

• Posted

Chads-vascular is relatively new. Just more of a breakdown of the chads2. A "3 " is moderately high.. More risk factors are identified.

I can't imagine having episodes 30 hours. Sure hope u improve and if risk factors are identified that would surely help. If they happen the same time, tell your doc. U may need a longer lasting antiarrithymic.

Hoping the best for you.

• Posted

Flecainide is not recommended for anyone with structural heart disease. It is a potent drug which caused many problems when first on the market. in fact a book was written about it called Deadly Medicine.

However having said that I have been using it as a Pill in the Pocket for 10 years and have been ok although it does have side effects.

Alway be well educated and do your research when you are offered new medication. It helps you to understand the pros and cons as we all are different.

As long as your heart is ok it seems to be safe.

• Posted

Hi...I was diagnosed with persistent AF about 18 months ago. I had a cardio version in Feb 2015 and put on Flecainide immediately. I cannot say I get side effects but have other health issues too, which complicate things a bit! I have occasional AF but, like you, had a 7 day monitor and it showed nothing remarkable. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.