Part Time & Lupus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good Afternoon All,

I was wondering if someone could help me please. I am currently working full time (36.5hrs a week) but struggle through-out the summer as the warm weather seems to cause my flare ups.

This also brings on the fatigue.

The company I work for are fully aware of my situation and very sympathetic BUT do not offer part time hours.

I was wondering due to the lupus diagnosis I was wondering if they have to be able to offer me Part Time?

Is there something either by law or can consultants etc insist on this?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Many Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry I can't help you with this but am following as I would be interested in knowing myself. I work 4 hrs a day and trust me, it's more than enough. 

Good luck.

Ali

• Posted

Thanks Ali. Working 71/2 hours a day in the summer my feet are screaming at me by the evening! x
  • Posted

In what country do you live? In the U.S. there is medical leave that you can take - although if you work for a small employer, it may not apply. 

I'm very sorry you're suffering like this. Lupus is something that forces you to take care of yourself and it sounds like you're trying to do that and balance it with work. Your doctor may know about medical leave and may even be able to help you find that middle ground with your employer.  Is there any work you can do from home part of the time when the season is at its worst for you?  If you can find a way to do your job that is less taxing, your employer may be open to it.

HUGS and well wishes to you!

• Posted

Thank you very much I didn't think of asking about working from Home. that's a great idea and something they might be open to.

I'm in the UK but unsure of our rights/laws.

It's so nice to hear from people who understand! smile

• Posted

Hi

I work a 37.5 hour week in NHS. I have tried twice to go back to work on phased return, half days, longer days and then full time but have struggled on both occasions. Once I went in and managed two hours and had to go home, my Occ Health dept have been good and if you have one you should def ask them. I was offered part time but every day is different, some days my rash is red raw and joints swollen, so I don't even think I could do part time. Everyone is different and it is a bit tricky, however, lupus is classed under the Equality Act 2010 ( used to be Disability Discrimination Act) and there are rules that say your employer should take reasonable steps to accomodate your illness. I would get in touch with your Occ Health or your GP should be able to access someone about access to work for long term conditions. Chin up , mate and hope they / someone can help you

• Posted

Thank you. I was off last summer (signed off by consultant) and did a phased back which was fine but long term I don't think that is suitable. I can't be signed off though-out the whole summer.

I am on the Occ Health referrals list so hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

I do class myself as lucky as the swelling and pain seems to be contained to my ankles & feet, but sat at a desk all day is not the best!

• Posted

Hi katieo, I really don't know but would imagine if there are no part time positions in the company it would be unlikely that they can make one,

You don't say weather it's a large company or a small family run one which might be easier to accommodate,

I know it's hard for us I also work full time with 2 x 14hr shifts one week and 1 the next I do 75hr over a fortnight but 4 days a week hence the long shifts, when I was very ill last year they suggested having shorter days but the thought of going out five days a week would be a killer for me,

Sorry I'm no help but hopefully someone on here would know

Wishing you all the best leona

• Posted

Many Thanks Leona, any advice, experiences are very helpful.

I think ideally I would like to drop working a Wed for a bit of R&R and catching up on sleep.

x

• Posted

I would to but with a mortgage to pay its really scary as I have no other income

I have been told I could claim pip as I have lupus and fibromyalgia and have to wear two earring aids due to loosing my hearing with the lupus ?

I've worked all my life I'm 57 and would have no idea where to start although I live in wales and have been given a free bus pass because of hearing disability

I wonder if anyone knows if this is true,

Hope you get your appointment soon.

• Posted

Can I just say "WOW". You are an amazing lady. So much respect for you.

xx

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words you've made my day

My Moto is be nice to everyone even if there horrible to you because you don't know what goes on behind there mask,

A kind word or smile could make there day a little easier,

I don't talk about my constant pain in work and it makes me smile when they talk about a headach sore throat or a cut on there finger, and they constantly complain about having a bad hair day or there fed up with how long it's grown and don't know what to do with it,

Sorry I'm smiling to myself writing this,

My hair has fallen out twice and is now very fine soft almost fluffy in parts and very grey, I used to have very thick dark wavy hair and obviously was devastated at first

But now I think well it's more than I had last year 😀

I have a day off today and I'm taking it slowly and feel really relaxed maybe the magnisium I started taking is starting to work?

Have you tried the magnisium spray oil for your joint pain, it's well worth a try

You have a good day and enjoy a relaxing weekend if possible

Gentle hugs

• Posted

We need more people like you in this world, it would be a wonderful place to be.

Sounds like a well deserved day off if you ask me!

Not tried that but do have epsom salts in the bath which is soothing.

That is one of my biggest fears is loosing my hair & the rash on the face.

I class myself as very lucky as neither of these has happened to me (yet)! I'm still only 28 so I do have age on my side (plus an excellent hairdresser)

My heart really does go out to you but as long as you remain the beautiful person on the inside it will show on the outside xoxoxox

• Posted

Awww thank you so much

I think like minded people's paths will cross however they meet and it a pleasure to talk to such a beautiful soul,

I will keep everything crossed that you remain as you are and develop any other symptoms, yes you are young, I did read some people settle down after some years and have flare ups much less frequently and don't go on to develop rashes or hair loss or hearing problems,

Saying all that you still don't have it easy, try to relax, don't stress, laugh even if it's at yourself and keep positive,

Have you tried gentle yoga ?and meditation is wonderful,

I take a meditation class once a week and get as much out of it as my clients.

You enjoy your weekend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.