Partial agensis of the corpus collosam

Posted , 2 users are following.

My grandson 's baby has been diagnosed at 20 weeks gestation with the above condition. He is now at 22 weeks and awaiting an MRI brain scan. Amniocentesis has not shown any other abnormality. They are finding it extremely hard to decide whether to continue with the pregnancy. .at this stage she will have to give birth. Has anyone else faced this? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Caroleanne, I just want to say that I'm sorry. Your family is in my prayers!  I know a family whose first child had this but not partial. I'd hang much hope on that "partial" part, it could be enough to make a big difference in his life. If there is a support group, please encourage them to join...this is rare and they may wind up knowing more than the doctors...at least that's how it was in the 1990's-early 2000s.

I'm glad that they are both otherwise healthy!  HUGS to you all!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind reply Aveline. I am relieved to say that the MRI scan gave us a little more hope and they have decided to continue with the pregnancy. I did not mention in my post that he also had excess fluid in his brain's ventricles and a small cyst. From what I have read it could have been the cyst that blocked the formation if the corpus collosam. The consultant who reviewed the MRI said he felt reassured these other issues were nothing major to be concerned about, so with the amniocentesis results all clear we can but hope for the best. She has joined a support group and has found it a great help, even to the point of feeling optimistic. He is due on 4 Nov, cannot wait to give him a cuddle . 
    • Posted

I'm teary-eyed reading your reply, Caroleanne.  What a loving family he has and it sounds like this could have been far worse!  I'm sure this has been stressful for all, but at least there's some relief with the most recent news. Is he your first Great-Grandchild?  Congratulations! Please post an update (can you do photos?) when he arrives!  Still praying for the best possible outcome for all. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.