Partial bowel blockage, stimulant laxatives safe?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For about 2 weeks now I have been dealing with what seems to be hard stool that will get close to the end, not able to push it out or reach it with a finger, then will recede back in higher up. Have had many liquid movements and occasionally small amounts of very soft movements so I'm not completely blocked. Tried MoM, mag citrate (recommended by hospital after my visit there), and glycerin suppositories a few times each, and have been taking 1 dose of miralax daily for about 10 days and colace (100mg 3x daily) for 8 days. The one thing I haven't tried is a stimulant laxative, dulcolax specifically. I'm wondering if it's safe for me to take a dulcolax suppository with a partial blockage? Perhaps just a half dose?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have been struggling with incomplete dedication disorder and this sounds like your issue. The stool is not stuck in the anus but higher up by the sphincter so can’t be reached. Only thing that clears me out is an enema. Been over a year now and it’s my only way to get relief. Told it’s a pelvic floor issue and tried physical therapy and some biofeedback as well. So far still struggle. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Suggest you go back to your doctor, tell them of the measures you've taken so far.  Sounds like you need a bit more investigation.  If they decide to do a colonoscopy, the prep they give you clears you out completely.  Once clear you need to make sure you have plenty of water each day, as dehydration causes constipation.

• Posted

Forgot to mention I've also tried enemas. Large volume, soap suds (3 total throughout the past 2 weeks), mineral oil. I swear I've gotten close, or at least it feels like I have. The only thing I haven't tried is stimulants and I'm wondering if liquid and a small amount of soft stuff can get by, it should be safe to take a stimulant laxative? I have already seen a dr and they want to do a colonoscopy, but I would prefer to try one last ditch effort to get it out before having to do that.

• Posted

I take Dulcolax 3 times a week and it takes care of the problem.
  • Posted

Just figured I'd post an update in case it may help someone else. The dulcolax wasn't that bad, 5mg. Didn't solve the problem though. The only thing that finally worked was something called oxy-powder, saw it recommended on other forums. Beyond all the marketing crap, it's supposedly magnesium peroxide as opposed to just oxide. But it actually worked, basically turned everything into pudding-like consistency. Since then I've been eating oatmeal and an apple once a day and drinking lots of water, and things seem to be returning to normal.

• Posted

Hi John,

Can please help me out, I have been facing the same problem as yours. I have tried enemas, laxatives but no success. What is oxy-powder how it helped you. What is the process of taking it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.