Partial colectomy and recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 7 weeks post op after having 12 inches of my colon removed due to diverticulitis.  I had restarted the probiotic on week five and became so sick with left and right sided pain also awful lower back pain that lasted5 days. I switched to a different probiotic that was lactose free and started a fiber supplement once a day. I myself added a multivitamin because I have had hair loss from being so sick prior to surgery. I was wondering if others have been told to take these meds and do we take them forever?

Kate

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kate.    I think a probiotic is more important than ever before.  Research shows that people with a wide variety of intestinal bacteria are healthier, over time.  so switching brands now and again is good.  avoiding all dairy products is also worth the effort.  so much of our food has residual antibiotics in them its hard to keep a good gut environment.  Vitamin D is a deficiency for me even tho I spend time in the sun.  I also take a multi-enzyme with meals, and I take B12.  I don't take a multivitamin.  Good luck, I hope you continue to improve.

• Posted

Hi Kate,

By meds you mean fiber? Probiotics?  No.  I wasn’t told.  I had a foot of my colon taken off also.  Fiber is excellent to take.  It all depends on your diet, as far as what you may have to take forever.  Many, many wonderful foods and a carefully planned nutritional diet which becomes an easy lifestyle may mean you don’t have to take meds forever but it also depends if you had/have other areas in your colon that are potentially susceptible to the disease....

• Posted

I'm almost 3 weeks post op after having 4" taken out. I was very fortunate.  I started taking probiotics  right after I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis,  never had no problems with it.  I made sure though I had something,  even half a banana,  before I took it. Yes, I also experienced hair loss, my blood work was horrible.  Anything that could be bad was really bad and the things that were supposed to be good were bad. Between the disease and limited food diet my body was severely lacking in vitamins,  nutrients and minerals . Couldn't take pill form multi vitamins because frankly my body rejected it. I googled,  researched all the power packed foods which of course 99% I couldn't eat. My friend hooked me up with a super power packed liquid vitamins that literally saved my life. Throughout the 18 months of dd torture I made sure to take the liquid vitamins and probiotics.  My blood work literally turned around in less than a week.  My doctor was amazed at how fast it worked. Probiotics will always need to be taken especially after colon surgery,  plus it's good for you. 

• Posted

Wasn't sure if I could say but then realized that both Miralax and Milk of Magnesium come up alot. Plus I'm not selling this product.  It's called Kyani,  comes from Hawaii.  I  started taking it on a Wednesday, then the following Monday was rushed to the ER with a major attack. They took my blood work and the ER doctor was amazed.  Of course my blood sugar was a little high and white blood cell count but only because I was in the throes of a big attack.  My surgeon couldn't figure out why my blood work was so good since I had just gone through a sigmoid colectomy so I told him about Kyani.  It's expensive, but definitely worth it. 

• Posted

Glenda

This article is long and laborious but it touch’s every situation regarding colon surgery and gut bacteria.  I have diverticulitis and had a foot removed from my colon and was never told to take probiotics.  It was 4 years ago and I’ve never been sick, and never had a problem again.  The article touches on how many drugs ie antibiotics (taken for only 5 days after surgery) will imbalance the bacteria for 24 months...as well as laxatives to counteract pain meds from surgery which will completely disrupt gut bacteria .  After you read this article from the beginning to end ( it covers everything) you’ll see Probiotics can never replace or help what naturally occurs.  I was prescribed morphine immediately after my surgery which also greatly disrupted the guts bacteria.  Probiotics is not a one size fits all and will not need to be taken ....esp forever! as you advised.  You really must read this lengthy article...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5198246/

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your input!  I read the article and have looked up the vitamins.  Waiting to be 100 % is not my strong suit!

Kate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.