Partial (high-grade) gluteus medius tear

Posted , 53 users are following.

Wrote in weeks ago, but maybe I was on the wrong discussion group - but would love to hear from anyone who had an accident and partially tore the GM tendon. It certainly interferes with a lot, and they don't like doing surgery there, but was a jogger for 25 years, yet now it hurts to walk. Thus, I'm headed to another kind of physical therapy, with deep massage and yoga, but it's hard to have much hope, after doing the same for over a year.

Thanks for any responses, -Annie

1 like, 113 replies

113 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all!  I had a torn GM which presented with terrible pain in my hip/outer thigh.  Doctor sent me to PT which I did on and off for about a year.  I also had 2 steroid injections with no results.  Finally got the MRI which showed the tear and my ortho surgeon told me it probably wouldn't heal on it's own.  Had orthoscopic surgery in August 2017.  Used the hip brace and had to use a wheelchair because my right hip was very weak and I was afraid it would get a tear too.  I developed mid back pain which I thought would go away as soon as I started walking.  6 weeks after surgery I started PT only to find out that the back pain didn't go away and I couldn't lay on my back so couldn't do any PT.  Had to use a pain mgmt doc and got that under control - took about 3 mos and then I started PT.  I was told 6 - 9 month recovery which didn't start until I could do the PT.  It took every bit of 9 mos and I had pretty much given up hope of walking any distance ever again and a couple of weeks later (end of May 2018) the pain just stopped.  I am now walking all over.  Just got back from a vacation to Mt. Rushmore and all the fun things around there.  I just kept smiling because I was walking and having fun with my family.  I wish this recovery for all of you.  I just had to hang in there.  I was doing Pilates for my PT, lost 25 pounds and used ice and heat.  I plan on losing another 30 pounds and will continue with Pilates because I think I will feel even better.

• Posted

Wow...this is great news Sharon!!! My surgery was in August...I had a really tough time with the pain...everything you mentioned...I just started feeling better this week..and..I'm hoping it's all going to be a lot easier from here on out!!!

• Posted

Hi Renee! Was wondering how you are doing now. I am still good with ex exercise and walking, but it still gives me trouble at night.
    • Posted

Hi sharon! I am feeling better, however, I have groin pain, which started while I was in therapy, and, gets worse as my day progresses and my hip gets fatigued!!! I still have lateral hip pain to the touch, and, my hip also bothers me at night!!! Do you have any of this???
    • Posted

Sharon, I meant did you have groin pain during your recovery??
    • Posted

Hi Renee. I don't remember groin pain. That's awful. I was plagued with back pain. I found a chiropractor who clears pain. He really helped with shutting down my extra aches. The only thing really bugging me is night pain.

• Posted

Oh man, not good!! I am scared because b4 this surgery...I had a laberal tear arthroscopic surgery in August of 2016... Hope this didn't get messed up due to overcompensating for so long due to glute med tear!!! Ugh!! Thank u for your response Sharon!!!

• Posted

sorry it took so long to get back to you. I hope it's nothing serious. it takes time to fully recover and overcompensating can really make it harder. Hang in there and let me know how you are doing

• Edited

I have a torn minimus muscle.  No idea how I tore it.  For years, before an MRI showed the tear, I was diagnosed as having burcitus.  Injections helped for a long time, but eventually stopped working for me.  About a year ago, I had a PRP injection followed by some pretty intensive PT.  My pain subsided significantly.  However it has returned.  Can’t sleep on that side and sometimes limp.  After reading some of these posts, not sure I’d ever have surgery.  71 years old.  
    • Posted

Hi Mike! Sorry to hear what you are going through and for so long. I'm sure surgery for the minimus would be similar to the glute med. The hard part is no weight on that leg for 6 weeks. Then a slow and difficult rehab. If you are in enough pain you do whatever you can. Tough decision

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Not sure if people are still responding to this thread but just had surgery on glut medius partial tear and am having horrible back pain which is making it difficult to know if the surgery was helpful or not. I was dealing with this injury off and on for 6 years and my doctor said it could be long standing nature of injury that causes back pain. So worried that I did the wrong thing having surgery! Would appreciate any advice from those of you who had surgery.

• Posted

Hi Erica,

I had glut med surgery 2 years ago and havent been able to shake the referred back pain (surgery was right hip, back pain is upper left). It's not as bad and anywhere as debilitating as the hip injury was but I havent been able to find good advice re how to tackle it.

Where is your back pain and what have you tried?

• Posted

Hi Eva,

My situation was a little different than some others. My hip problems started 6 years ago and MRI showed tear. I had bursitis as well. My symptoms were intermittent. I would go to PT and improve and try to go back to working out and every time would have setback. I took a month off work recently to try and get on top of it as I drive a lot for work. I felt better but would still have pain if I exerted mostly in lower back so my doctor and pt suggested surgery. I had MRI of back and it showed small protruding disc and arthritis but nothing major. I was uncertain if surgery would help because my pain pattern had changed so much over years w injury. QL and SI was most painful. It is all left sided where my injured hip is located. I was told long standing hip injuries can result in lower back pain so I went for it. Ended up that it was frayed not torn but there was tons of scar tissue. I felt pretty good the first week but then back pain came back with vengeance and I'm questioning everything! I'm currently 2 weeks out from surgery. I've been told to let dust settle, begin strengthening and see w steady base at hip I have improvement in lower back. I'm praying they are right! So hard to know what advice to take as everyone seems to have different ideas.

• Posted

An interesting twist to my glute story. I had my left knee replaced back in Jan. Since then I have been in rigorous PT. Many of my exercises are designed to strengthen my glutes. Even though it was my left knee that was replaced, many of my exercises involve both sides. I have noticed that my right side glute pain has lessened significantly to the point I can sleep on it for first time in years. CRAZY!

• Posted

Hi Mike, it is interesting to me that your hip pain improved after your knee replacement and the physio as I developed pain in my left hip a few years after completely tearing my PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) in my right knee. Unfortunately, I have been studying full time the last 2 years so neglected to address my hip pain and instead decide to return to playing soccer these last 2 months and have now torn something, I suspect my gluteus medius and am having an ultrasound today. I am hoping I'm lucky as it sounds like it can cause all kinds of problems.

• Posted

It has happened to me also. I have had right side mid back pain before my (left leg ) surgery ( turned out only bursa removal and IT band lengthening ) when I lay down for long periods of time. Exercise and stretching have been my solution. But after the surgery it came back with a vengeance. The reason? I was not getting up correctly from bed. The pain became worse than the leg's. Once I started rolling to my non-operated right side and getting up slowly pushing myself up with my left hand, the pain subsided. You can Youtube how to get in and out if bed after hip surgery. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Im only two weeks out from surgery but i will definitely post once I have some history and when PT gets started. It was a bad tear so im hoping surgery was successful-hard decision to go ahead with the surgery for sure!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.