Partial knee replacement 18 mo. later

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a successful recovery from my partial knee replacement. However 2 weeks ago I started having a burning sensation in the area of the appliance.  I saw Ortho surgeon, he did an X-ray , said all looks fine!  Well, the burning continues! Has anyone experience this problem?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes. My xrays "were fine'. Ended up getting worse and burning became difficulty going down stairs wo some pain-which was new. He did an arthroscopy and i had a huge bone spur. Location didnt show on xray. Also, the increase in burn was scar tissue forming on joint capsule that also did not show on xray. Mri will not help. Too much artifact w metal. I am bilateral pkr nov 16th 2017

• Posted

"Burning" is a very relative term.  EVERYONE mentions that the knee is "warm to the touch", "feels warm constantly", or "feels warm after PT or exercise".  So, yes, a "warming" or, to some, a "burning" sensation is normal, especially when confirmed by your ortho that everything looks normal.  Bio Freeze can help. ice packs are mandatory, Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is a great topical anti-inflammatory.

Note that the sensation will lessen over time but can last in some form for 12-18 months.  Be prepared for that and do not be surprised by it.  At 16 months, I feel it a tiny bit from time to time. 

• Posted

I still have "burning pain" in my 1st tkr 18 months ago, not always, but often. It's hard to describe pain, what I call "burning pain" may be quite different from what you describe as burning pain. I have a huge amount of burning pain from my TKR 2 months ago.  Just to mention - did you see the ex ray yourself?  All you can see is a block of white, you can't see everything because of the prosthesis. I had tkr though, not pkr. Maybe a 2nd opinion?

• Posted

Hi Louise

I’m 18 months getting swelling .

So concerned . Calling DOc today.

Second time this ha happened .

First time it was drained and was blood. Did you have any of this ?

How are you now I think you would be 24 months . Hope you see this .

Debbie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.