Partial knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm four weeks post op and feel like crying as the pain is sometimes unbearable as is the swelling, does anyone else suffer from these symptoms and are they normal ,the scar has healed nicely and I feel a fraud for not being able to do the simplest of things like the shopping or washing cos if I do  my leg gets so,tired and swollen and aching .

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You are definitely not a fraud.

4 weeks is such early days ...I'm 11weeks now and everyone will tell you the tears are part of the process ...you've had a major operation and never mind the housework ..you need to concentrate on just looking after yourself 

the pain will get easier 

you just take care ..the housework can wait 

Jean 

• Posted

i know exactly how you feel... ihad a total knee rreplacement 11 weeks ago... and I am just starting to feel a bit more normal... still lots I can't do... I hoovet   do dishes... shower   iron .  r sitting down..   I can't stand for long either... rest and ice plus painkillers will get  you through this... my house looked like a tip for weeks... you just can't do it all and heal at the same time... take care.... you will be up and about soon.. remember to do your exercises too... 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 8 weeks post op TKR. Mt house looks like a bomb has hit it. I have dust bunnies everywhere .... and I don't care. The most important thing right now is getting better. Doing my exercises, taking my meds icing, elevating and just recovering from a major shock to my system. The same as you.

The housework will still be there when you are well, if it bothers anyone, tell them to do it.

The crying seems to be a natural part of this. I still dissolve into tears and feel hopeless. I have come to the conclusion that you need to cry, just let it all out. I find I feel better after.

Come on here regularly and have a whinge, everyone here is your friend.

Caz x

• Posted

This is the part never discussed by the Drs..everyone that has gone through this trauma suffers the same fate. Unfortunately it may come and go, then go through that swing again. Take your pain meds, ice and be kind to yourself. Sometimes you just have to back off the exercises a little. Just don't feel like this is unusual and you are all alone.
  • Posted

This is the part never discussed by the Drs..everyone that has gone through this trauma suffers the same fate. Unfortunately it may come and go, then go through that swing again. Take your pain meds, ice and be kind to yourself. Sometimes you just have to back off the exercises a little. Just don't feel like this is unusual and you are all alone.
  • Posted

at 3 weeks i had so much pain i couldnt bear it. (i am at 4 weeks now)  I went to the chiropractor and got a light massage on my leg and she also worked my hamstring.  afterwards the chirpractor put the tens unit on the muscles on the side of my shin bone.  Ever since the pain has practically gone away.  I have a portable tens unit and use each night on my hamstrings and muscles going down the outside of my leg.  (do not put a tens unit on your knee!!!).  I vacuummed today and mopped my floors!  But i still cant go shopping. Also ever since the massage I am at 120 degrees or over on evry exercise.  Worth a try!  I think our muscles and our entire body is in trauma fr the surgery and the massage relaxed me long enough to let my brain know the trauma was over.
  • Posted

No pain after 1 week, yes I was down and had swelling, I used ice frequently and maintained all the exercises dispite the pain. 

Everyone's fitness is different, and my surgeon suggested I get as fit as possible prior to the procedure. As a cyclist I averaged 500+ miles a month before my op. Post op, no physio was offered, only a small booklet of excercises. These I did three times a day, along with a walk on two crutches  starting short, 300 yds, twice a day, building up slowly to 2 miles by week 3.

Driving (manual) at week 3 and back on my Turbo trainer for the last 2 weeks doing light intervals.

I will say that sleep was a problem, I still wake most nights, not through pain but just crazy thoughts!

Scar was very sensitive, I still wear a tubular bandage at night, and shorts during the day.

Well that's me 5 weeks in, 

Hope you see some improvement soon

• Posted

What can I say apart from Wow...you must be one fit fella ...I know footballers who have had TKR and it's taken them weeks to recover

well done you 

• Posted

good god i am sooooooooooo envious.  i wouldn't have been able to get fit before the operation if i had wanted to!  i could hardly walk up the road, even on pain meds.  but good for you, it shows that the process can be different from mine which is ending in my having to go back for a manual bending under anesthesia.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.