Partial knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

im just shy of one month out from surgery Physical therapy  is going well But I still have a lot of sharp pain in certain range of motion, not much energy and very emotional. Is this normal?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

First...  THERE IS NO NORMAL!!!!!!!  Really...everyone is different.  That said, just know that you are experiencing what the vast majority of us have experienced.  So, in that sense, yes, you are "normal".

Emotional?  Read the Post-Operative Depression section of this...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Now you can kick that problem out the door.  Energy?  I was sleeping 12-16 hours a day.  My doc said:

"All the healing energy of your body is being directed at your knee.  When your body wants to sleep, sleep."

It all goes away over time.  Most people see big changes at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months.  I'm 16+ months and waaaay past all of this.  It does get better...give it time.

• Posted

Very good advice and I'm grateful for your answers. I will check out the thread on pod and just learn to listen to my body and what it needs. This whole experience has been very humbling tho.

• Posted

Humbling?  Oh yes.  I've skated through a hip replacement, spine fusions, and so much more.  Thought this would be the same.  WRONG!!!!  No one takes this seriously because no one is adequately prepared for the amount of will power it takes to get through it.   The good thing is that you do find that will power and become a stronger person for it.  Meet the challenge...own your recovery...kick some serious a$$!!!!!!

• Posted

Not at all without understanding how a Texan, transplanted from New York/New Jersey can easily grasp the meaning of "not normal". Chico, just saw the weather forecast for Dallas...you can put the winter coats in storage for at least another month. KC had 92° F with 79 % humidity at 9 pm Friday night. No complaints about joints being bothered by cold, damp weather.

• Posted

Yes, totally normal Kittenkitten.  You're early in recovery, it can take up to 18 months to feel the best you can, but you'll have lots of ups and downs along the way, possibly.  Don't worry too much, just do the physio, it helps enormously.  Don't push too hard through pain but keep doing the work and you'll be better.

• Posted

We are all different in so many ways that the use of th word normal is futile as far as looking for an explanation of a condition. The body has taken a terrible beating with this surgery. Most probably you lost a lot of blood as well became extremely dehydrated. Along with these factors, nutrition has taken a real hit with the addition of pain meds as a regular part of your intake.

Immediately, start increasing your water intake. A dehydrated body cannot heal properly. Make your you have a diet that includes high protein and fresh fruits and veggies. Reduce or eliminate sugar.. Rest, and make sure the rest includes SLEEP, lots of sleep, anytime day or night.

Be very judicious when it comes to resuming activities. Too many people try to use a calendar rather than common sense when trying to resume their lives. I've been through 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehab and everyone different. Just have patience and be consistent but moderate with you exercising. In other words, more on over aggressive exercising may not be he fastest rout to recovery.

Stay with th group on this site...wonderful people that have been through it all. Chico should be bouncing though here with his new York/ new jersey/ Texas wisdom and logic. Read and follow him as his words will do you much good. One nice thing about this forum...its global and someone is on here around the clock if indeed, you need or want to visit.

I'm in the heartland of the US as an example.

You'll get there, just hang on.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your wise words. They are very helpful.  I do follow a very clean diet but hadn't considered how dehydrated I probably am. So water water water it is. I guess I just have to accept each day as it comes and all will be better but you have helped me immensely see this for what it is. Thank you

• Posted

Hi kittenkitten

Tomorrow is my one month anniversary from my partial knee replacement. I wouldn't be disheartened you sound as though you are doing great. I found this site probably a bit late but better late than never! Everyone is so thoughtful and considerate with their experiences and knowledge. I am a very upbeat person and I too have spent a lot of time down and almost in tears. All my energy goes into my three times a day exercises followed by icing so not much left for anything else. I am getting better sending less time laying around in between and at least having the inclination to do something, so I'm sure you will get there too. As for your pain I don't think anyone is the same. I can do a completely straight leg but it hurts a lot to do any bending. At the physio yesterday, which I see once a week, he got my bend to 110 which I believe is considered OK as we are still very early days. However I can't get anywhere near that on my own and only when completely full of tramadol and paracetamol. I feel your frustrations but nothing is normal! So everyone here can tell us. I was led to believe by the surgeon it would be a walk in the park compared to a total knee replacement, and even the nurses in the hospital inferred I shouldn't be in this much pain with a partial. So I feel inadequate and a wimp which doesn't help my recovery. I would like to know when the stiffness and pain go away. I can walk without too much of a limp when medicated but when that has worn off or in the night my leg is as tight as a drum. The medication makes me feel constantly sick- the only good thing is my appetite has shrunk so hopefully I won't put any weight on in my incapacitated state!

i hope this is of some comfort, everything you are experiencing is normal for you.

Good luck with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.