Partial knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI

I am so new to all this so I really hope someone can help.I had a partial knee replacement 4 weeks ago. The op went well and it is actually my second one. However my first one 2.5 years ago had complications and I  had to have the same op twice on the same knee

But moving on I seemed to have forgotten how painful it is at night and how depressing it is in the day.I am getting up doing my exercise, showering and moving around, but I am at such a loss.

I am 54 and normally work full time. I am under real pressure to go back to work and for my mental state I know that would be good for me. I just feel so down and wake up every morning (Well most) regretting having it done.

As I said I am new to this so sorry if it does not make sense. I know it is for the best as my other knee is good although sometimes still painful.

I am on quite strong painkillers, blood thinning injections. Just need hope that I am not the only person feeling like I have a bad decision

I know I feel better just for sharing this, I am trying to be positive in front of my family but am beginning to show the cracks.

Thank you for hopefully replying.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I feel the same as you.  I wake up (that is, if I sleep!) every morning regretting my PKR and ACL reconstruction.  I don’t speak of it too much to my husband, because frankly I’m tired of hearing myself complain and I’m sure he is too!  I sleep in a different room now because I don’t want to wake him in the middle of the night multiple times.  PKR’s are difficult operations and I’m told a lot harder than a TKR.  That being said, I find myself fleetingly wishing I’d never done the PKR but wish I’d done the TKR.  It wouldn’t have been for me, though. I’m extremely active...biking, snowboarding, running, hiking long distances.  Plus, I had a perfect lateral surface with no arthritis.  Only my medial surface was arthritic and basically I had no meniscus left from running on a knee with no ACL. (I didn’t know it was torn completely so I wore down my meniscus and ran on a knee that was bone-on-bone.) Why did I do a PKR? All in all, I came to the conclusion, why fix something that wasnt Broke?

I feel your pain right now.  It’s depressing when you take two steps forward and one step back.  I no longer work outside the home (retired nurse.). I can’t imagine what it would be like if I had to get up and go to work after no sleep the night before.  I get that it’s good for your psyche, as you said, but if there’s any way possible you can start back part time, I’d suggest that.  This operation is not for sissies.  Keep at it and don’t feel disheartened.  I’m in this with you.  Write me any time.  Oh, and btw, I was told by a “veteran”.... don’t compare yourself to everyone else.  Everyone’s progress is different, as is, everyone’s experience.  Hang in there!

• Posted

Hello

Thank you, I know the sleepless nights are awful. I have now downloaded audio books to listen to, it does somehow take my mind off the pain. Then it is like my leg has what my parents use to call ' Growing pains' but 1000 times worse. I will hang in and counting the days. Again thank you.

• Posted

I do audio books too! Also have turned my iPad  into a kindle.  I’m feeling better this afternoon but I’m so tired. I don’t dare take a nap, bec then I’ll def be up all night. Is your kneecap movable yet?  I can move it side to side but not up and down. Most of my pain is on the medial side of my knee (where the “equipment” is). Hope tonight is better for both of us!
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca and Starbright

Rebecca you are the only person I’ve ever heard had similar story as mine ! Running for years on a knee that I had meniscus surgery at age 20. They completely removed the meniscus and then years of running long distances destroyed it ( medial ). Anyway I am 2 years in May PO PKR.

I would say it has taken two years for me to feel “ fully “ recovered . 

I know that running is off the table for ever as it wears down the knee . 

I had pain and swelling on and off for about 19 months . Each time I over did it with either exercise or lifting knee swelled up .

I do not want to go through this again so I am planning on being careful with all activities that involve any pounding on the knee .

Starbright - hang in there it’s a long recovery , I am so very happy I had surgery . I can comfortably do stairs and have great mobility now in the leg which I did not have for many years .

All the best !

Remember to ice often !

Debbie xo

• Posted

Actually my surgery was lateral side 
    • Posted

Debbie, thanks for sharing! Did you have ACL reconstruction with your PKR?  I chose this for two reasons. One-My lateral surface was perfect and I couldn’t see “fixing what wasn’t broke.” And, two, I was told trail running could be an option a year after surgery. So, you’re saying it’s just a pipe dream? Can you hike and bike?

I had no idea this surgery was more difficult than a TKR. A TKR is a 45 min surgery. My surgery was 5 hrs long. I won’t bore you with my first three weeks. They were horrendous! I’m doing better now but the pain is always there. It ranges from a 3-7 on a 1-10 scale all the time. It particularly is focused right where the prostheses is. These next two months will be difficult bec flexion is very painful. Sorry to bore you. I’d love to hear more about your experience, particularly your first three months. Thanks!

• Posted

Rebecca 

My first three months were very difficult . Much of which I brought on myself I think . At 3 weeks I was back to work part time . At 4 weeks I got on an airplane and went to my yearly convention . BIG mistake . Miserable entire time . Was mostly in my room iceing . That trip set me way back . I really pushed myself .

I basically just iced and elevated as often as I could . I slept with ive pack on all night every night .

Had terrible pain on opposite side of knee for a good 4 weeks .

I was never sent to PT . I was given exercises to do at home which I faithfully did .  I used a cane for about 6 weeks mostly because of the terrible pain on the opposite side of operated knee . Thought that pain would never go away and then one day I woke up and it was gone 😂.

That was a huge turning point for me and lifted my spirits a lot .

I did not have the acl reconstruction . 

As for running . My doctor said it will wear the knee down . I tried different classes at the gym but knee kept swelling . So last 6 months I’ve just laid very low letting knee heal completely . 

Weather is turning I am going to figure out what I can do comfortably . It’s been torture not being able to workout but I’ve resigned myself to a “ new  knee “ and a new life with the new knee . Make sense ?

Think I answered your questions . If not ask again ! It is a very difficult , painful surgery . I pray I will not ever need a total .  It is starting to become a distant memory and I’m liking that very much . 

You too will look back someday and feel same way I promise !

Debbie 

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

This all makes perfect sense, feel like I push myself as I want to be back to normal.The pain on both sides is what I feel too.Was going to go to an exhibition today which would involve lots of walking. Not going to now as I know it would be a mistake. Thank you and glad you are on the way!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing, Debbie. Made me feel loads better. I also pushed it too much first few weeks.  I had my surgery done in San Francisco so two weeks after, I had to fly to Denver with the hopes of rehabbing there. That didn’t work out bec I got diverticulitis so I flew home to DC and my own bed. It was way too much flying, too soon. I’ve learned my lesson and I’m laying low for st least two months.  I just feel like it’s Groundhog Day! Every day is the same and I’m going crazy!
    • Posted

Groundhog day...Great description. I fell asleep for three hours woke up feeling terrible. I hate sleeping in the day because it's something I never do. Made myself go out for a short walk just for a few minutes.

Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

I had a PKR 10 weeks ago. Pain wise it has been much better than I feared. I stopped all painkillers in the day about 6 weeks ago. Still take at night but just as a precaution really. My bend is 115 but extension still at -10. Painful to try and straighten, but my physio thinks if I keep up with the exercises I'll get there. See surgeon in a couple of weeks.

Hang in there, in have had ups and downs, but I was driving at 7 weeks and now back to work without crutches. Each day I notice my waking getting better. Still stiffens up a lot so keep moving it and do ice regularly, this really helps. Stay on painkillers for as long as you need to, everybody is different. I have quite a high pain threshold, had two babies without any pain relief at all.

You will get there, 4 weeks is still really early days. I was wise at 4 weeks than 2, it's not a straight line of recovery. I noticed a big difference at the 6-7 week mark.

Thinking of you and come on here anytime. We ask her to support you. X

• Posted

Thank you, it has made such a difference to my well being. Sitting with frozen peas on my knee at the moment and I am going to try and stay up a bit later. Have to say the pain is not great at the moment. But staring in the hydro pool next week and I know that is a way forward.
    • Posted

Thank you Ice really helps. I work in a school so will have to see if I can go back with crutches. Taking strong painkillers but am going to try and change to something less hash.Will check with my doctor.Again thank you for your kind words.
  • Posted

First of all I just want to say I hope you start feeling better, having a partial knee replacement is horrible, May I ask what kind of complications did you have with your first partial knee replacement? 
    • Posted

Hi,

Thank you I am feeling a bit better. My first knee op ( pkr)  went wrong when I caught an infection, Then my knee cap came away or never really took and I had to have the op again. It was fairly awful but rarely happens as my surgeon assured me.

I actually recovered fairly quickly and my old knee is doing well. Take care and as I said this is really unusual. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.