Partial knee replacement 7 weeks ago and i am getting pain in the back of my knee.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a partial knee replacement 7 weeks ago, all is well with the knee and my range of movement is very good however it feels like my ligaments are all pulled at the back of my knee or something, i get out of bed in a morning and i am limping really badly for the first few steps then the pain goes away a bit, this also happens when i have been sat for a while, has anyone else had this or similar? I tried stretching but that seems to hurt it more the next day so i have also tried resting it but that still makes it hurt the next day as well? not sure what to do for the best really.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrew well it's 15werks for my tkr left leg. Behind the knee pain is normal apparently according to my PT the ligaments have been interfered with and now exercises needed to strengthen them. There's also quite a lot of swelling and inflammation behind the knee. I have to sit for a couple of minutes before getting up then I stand and stretch. You'll limp at first but this soon wears off. Chico of this site did recommend rubbing Voltarol on the back and sides of the op. Knee at bedtime. I have been doing this and it definitely helps me. On a morning not too stiff and can move around quite quickly and painless too. Remember to massage your scar I use bio oil and Aveeno. Do this at least twice a day to help heal the scar and break down scar tissue. Still early days but this forum has most of the answers you're looking for. Good luck

• Posted

Cheers, been doin the bio oil thing, i just wasnt sure what to do about the ligaments, whether it was best to rest them or stretch my way through it, i bent my leg back the other week while standing up and if i had my toes pointing forward all was fine but then i did it with my toes pulled back and it felt like i had been shot in my ligaments at the back of the knee, i know its early days yet just trying to figure out what to do for the best.
  • Posted

After having been thru numerous knee surgeries all of which are painful TKR's are the worst what your are feeling and yes I understand it hurts is normal. I just had my 6th revision 2 weeks ago when I get out of bed or as you wrote get up from sitting it is very painful. A partial knee still takes time to heal not as long as a total and really you have to have patience, I tend to think of what you describe as like a rusty bolt its hard to turn it at first but add some oil and sooner or later your able to move it. My knee gets very stiff and once I am up and moving the stiffness gets better. I would not go nuts with stretching if you push too hard your knee will push back in the form of pain. If I overdo it it may take 2-3 days before it gets back to normal.

Norman

• Posted

Cheers, i did expect it to hurt while recovering but didnt expect it to hurt from the ligaments at the back, i was a bit more concerned because when i first had it done  there was a bit of excess cement still on the back which after 2 weeks snapped off and kept gettin stuck in the ligaments and nerves, so i had to have the top part of my replacement taken out so the rogue bit of cement could be taken out, i was just concerned it may have done more ligament damage that the operation did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.