Partial Knee Replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I had a Partial Knee Replacement 13 weeks ago. I can straighten my leg ok and my leg range is 120. I am really concerned with the really bad pain at the back of my knee. It can be crippling and the stiffness in the morning is upsetting. I thought I would be without pain by now. If I sit down for any length of time it can be difficult to get up without pain. I am going on a 7 hour flight soon and dreading it. is anyone else suffering with pain at the back of their knee. it's really getting me down.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi

I'm 6 weeks post op and i have the same problems my ham string is really tight i have been seeing an osteopath who has been treating me with acupuncture and massage and it is starting to feel loads better, and just keep moving lol

• Posted

Hi Jilly,

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I hadn't thought of seeking help from more natural sources.

I bought myself an exercise bike to help strengthen my upper legs and can't wait to get back outside on my normal bike. I will definitely try an Osteopath.

Thank you so much.

• Posted

i believe the healing process is different for everyone. i expect to be frozen and stiff in the waking hour after being in one position for so long. i try to control lofty ideas about being able to do this or that until i see how i feel. I've made no commitments until i get to that point. i pay no attention to others barometers for recovery. my only desire is ti do the best i can each day. i have a great PT coming in from a fairly new agency in my area....the biggest problem is her availability which has been inconsistent. this places alot of personal responsibility on me. just turned 4 weeks out from TKR and so wont be tooling around town to outside PT just yet. i think we have to be reasonable w/our expectations...i dont have drivers on call and my finances are limited. what I'm limiting are my talking points with others who dont really have a grasp on my situation. i have a distant relative that boasts his 70 something sister was out bowling in 2 wks. BS

• Posted

Hi Roberta

Thank you so much for your reply and experiences. I am still very cautious about how far I can walk. I don't drive so I feel very limited and housebound at the moment. I suppose I wasn't aware that I would get this stiffness and pain at the back of my knee. I thought I would get this if I haven't exercised enough, but I have been rigid doing all the exercises that they have suggested. I feel as though I am going backwards in my recovery. They said I have a very small Bakers Cyst but I can't see it and would it really be this painful when i lift my leg or step up. I am going to a 6 week Physio Course at our local hospital soon and hoping that will help.

It's really good hearing your experiences. Thank you.

• Posted

hi I have had both my knees done now this is my experience the first knee was done 2 years ago the other was done in june I am still I'm pain coming down the stairs is so painful I could cry, i had hospital they basically told me that the op has been successful and I was one of the unfortunate person will always be in pay and cant do anything more till I'm in my 70s I'm on so much meds I'm sick of feeling crap and in pain all the time, sorry had to write this hopefully you will be different give it time and believe me you go through different pains each day keep taking your meds and icing all the time good luck x

• Posted

gave up at 2-1/2 weeks post surgery on opioids, neurontin. I fought the pain and the pain won. I rely only on Tylenol, sometimes I get relief, sometimes not so much. This healing process is a pain filled thing. I'm now at 4 wks +

• Posted

Hi Denise

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Sounds awful. I go up and down stairs very gingerly still. I live in a bungalow so I don't have to cope with them on an everyday basis. I don't think I ever envisaged being in so much pain but the actual knee now does not cause me much pain, its just a dull ache. It's just the back of the knee when I raise it or have to step over anything, its excruciating. One lady has suggested an Osteopath which I hadn't thought of. I keep trying to find out more to see if this pain is normal.

Thank you so much for your advice and sharing your experiences with me. I will certainly keep up the meds and Icing.

• Posted

I had both knees done 13 weeks ago. i do not have the pain in the back of my knee, but lots of stiffness. I have found that during periods of immobility. (movies, class, etc.) it helps to straighten and bend the legs often. It helps me when I go to get up. good luck

• Posted

true. just keep bending and moving during periods of rest. don't you think that's the result of the body's sub conscious desire to repair itself?

• Posted

I think that is the key, to keep it moving. I find my exercise bike helps to stretch out my knee. I have to start very slowly though. I think you are very brave having both knees done. It must have been very hard when you first came out of hospital.

Thank you for your reply and advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.