Partial knee replacement pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m going on seven months post op and my question is I’m still uncomfortable still have swelling and sometimes sharp pains on the inside of my knee where the surgery was. Is this a common complaint?  When should these things be resolved. Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

This is normal. Remember that it can take up to 12-18 months to completely heal. Keep being patient and doing your exercises. I had bilateral knee replacements 18 months ago. It does get better. Have a good weekend.
  • Posted

Yep. Its common. I, too, had bilateral pkr. I kept thinking when will the swelling stop?! Of course, working upright all day contributed....but it does better at a year...i hit the14 mo mark and noone can tell by the way i walk, lift etc that i even had surgery.

BUT, i am STILL working on getting more strength and walking further. I think thats an ongoing process to be better n stronger after being so debilitated. Lol !

• Posted

Hi

I am seven months out from right tkr and I feel the same as you. Good days, bad days. Always feeling when is this going to end. Sometimes feels like a cement block attached to leg. I have to admit though it is better than a few weeks ago, so maybe there is hope. I’m supposed to have other knee done end of March, definitely going to cancel that. Look for some posts from Chico Marx, they will get to through a lot of stuff. Good luck and feel better.

• Posted

Hi there. I too am almost seven months out from left medial  partial. I have good days and bad days. Swelling after a lot of exertion and pains sometimes especially in bed when on my side. I believe it's all as expected as everyone on here says. I exercise almost everyday, only missing if I have an early start. Take paracetamol if it is too troublesome but those days are now less and less. 

Looking back instead of forwards I can see how far I have come if that makes sense.

i think it's all "normal" . Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Tricia

Wondering what exercise you are doing . I am 20 months PKR. Seems when I do anything too much Knee can swell . Just curious on what your doing .

Thank you !

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie

If I do too much. Like today stood coking for almost four hours! My knee gets swollen and very stiff. The same with a long walk or long shopping trip. I was hoping this was a temporary thing as I'm still just seven months. (Although I had hoped for much better😊wink

I exercise almost every day. It takes between 30 and 45 minutes sometime longer if I am more diligent. At the beginning I bought a cheap massage table as my bed was too soft to exercise on and the floor too difficult to get up and down from. I also use a small yoga ball, or child's inflatable football would do and a rolled up bath towel. Also a smaller towel or belt. My exercises have originated from my physio but that was four months ago and I have researched on the Internet.

My aim is to build up the muscle without bearing too much weight or putting stress through the joint. IT seems to be working as I can now walk upstairs normally and unaided, I no longer haul myself up on thfor handrail, I don't even have to,hold on. Coming down is more difficult though. I'm working on that. So I believe it's all about strengthening. I sit upright and first of all pump my feet for about 30 repetitions- just to warm up.

I then put the ball under my knee and squeeze my muscles my pushing down onto the slightly softened ball counting to 30 then releasing the muscle, repeating this 30 times. I do it for each leg. With this exercise there is no continuous bending of the knee.

Next I put the rolls up to well under my knee and flex the muscles whilst lifting my foot off the table holding it then lowering the leg down and releasing the muscles again. 30 times. This is a very similar exercise but should use slightly different muscles.

Lastly I lay down and with one leg bent I raise the other leg straight up in the air and slowly lower it down with the muscles  tightened and my toes flexed towards me. I so this slowly and deliberately but not stopping. I started with 5 lifts and now do between 30 and 40. When I am tired I can only do about 5 however! You can feel the muscles getting tired, I believe this is a good sign. 

I also get on the exercise bike for fifteen minutes several times a day. Especially after sitting for a time.

I am 62 Debbie, I used to be quite fit but the last two years have taken their toll, I put weight on being incapacitated and weigh 155lbs. I am working at my weight and my fitness.

I hope all this helps you Debbie and I sincere hope things get better for you and me. so much for "just" a partial!

• Posted

Thanks Tricia! Yes does help . I always was a workout person and runner till my knee got so bad and stopped everything . After surgery I did my exercises for about 5 months for the strengthening of muscles etc . Since then it’s just been an up and down scenerio with the swelling so I basically stopped doing anything besides walking and stationary bike sometimes . I have had a couple really bad swelling episodes where fluid / blood had to be extracted . Grrr! I just can’t figure out where the point is which is overdoing it . So I just think I didn’t strengthen enough early on ? I so desire to do more as it is soooo hard to keep weight where I like it without the help of the exercise. I am 59. I was swimming also for exercise but find that such a process and stopped sad just can’t seem to get in a regular routine of something that makes me feel like a good workout and I do not want swelling so I just lay low with all of it sad 

Anyway that’s my long story . Thank you for your reply . Keep doing your regimen as long as you can it seems to be working  well for you smile

Debbie 

• Posted

I know what you mean about finding the point when you have over done it. That's also my problem I have always put my heart and soul into anything expecting the more you do the better. I don't think that's the case with this though.

good luck 

• Posted

Hi 

I am 20 months PKR outside R knee  and still can get Swelling if I over do it . Still trying to find my way with exercising as far as what type and how much . But I will say it definitely keeps getting better the further out you go .

I wouldn’t have believed that at 20 months I would say that yes at 20 months Knee is better than at 19 months . Hang in there your doing great it just takes long time to fully heal ( whatever that means !)

Debbie 

• Posted

It's been 4 months for me. Just had my last PT last week. I'm having the same problems. Some days are good, some are awful. Bought a bike, and weights to help straighten. At 6 weeks I was 5 straight, and 135 bend. Now I can hardly bend it. Still can't walk down stairs. Had less pain with my old knee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.