Partial knee replacement pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm just starting week five of my partial knee replacement recovery, The scar area is so stiff and with burning pain is this what is to be expected. Everyone I speak to seems to know someone who was up running a marathon after 2 weeks and climbed Everest at week 4. I know we Brits do the stiff upper lip thing and say we are fine when really we just want to curl up and cry but really. when I hear this I just want to take to my bed and have a pity party!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

awww this message did make me chuckle. my husband is week 6 and pretty much the same as you. listening to all these people that climbed everest once home from hospital really do know how to put you on a downer ha ha. my other half is really struggling getting a bend on his own. he can get 90 degrees with his physio or me pushing him to 90 degrees but way off being able to do it on his own. at least this forum helps you realise that not everyone is climbing everest. wishing you all the very best. lets hope we all start to see some improvement soon enough

• Posted

All those stories of people climbing mountains at 4 weeks, tennis at 6 weeks and and skiing at two months are mostly nonsense, in my opinion. It takes a year to heal, sometimes more.Most of us don't get back to being just OK for months.

I am at two months since my surgery. My knee stills swells up. My flex is 110 degrees on a good day. There is soreness and tightness all the time, but a little less every week. Sometimes sharp pains will zap me for no apparent reason.

I can walk 2-3 kilometers but the knee will need the ice water treatment when I am done.But, I can walk down stairs with out bad pain, which is something I could not do the day before the surgery.

My neighbor claims her 70 year old aunt went on some type of one week dancing cruise in the Caribbean three weeks after the surgery. After the day trips at the ports, she supposedly spent hours dancing the nights away while on the cruise. If you believe that I have a clock tower in London, I can sell you at a very good price. 😃

• Posted

Did your neighbour's aunt also do sky diving and play professional football? I'm trying to sell 2 bridges in London if you know anyone who wants them.

• Posted

Hi I'm nearly 5mths post op and I too couldn't understand why I was not making the same progress as everyone else, people running, walking, back to 'normal' within weeks.. Well I have learnt that some people may well be back to normal but most are not.. This is long road and can take a year. I now only worry about myself someday are good some days not.. Knee still telling me when I've overdone it.. If I. Having bad day I just look back a few weeks and see what I can do now that I couldn't then.. Sometimes the improvement may be tiny but any improvement is step in right direction. Good luck. Xx

• Posted

I had the similar burning sensation and this was eased with the use of a cryacuff, this was a godsend. The scaring settled down by massaging with bio oil , advice from the physio. i can't recommend the cryacuff enough. As with pain, I have had a number if different pains/ sensations, this I think is all healing pains as your nerves are shot to pieces during the operation. Feels like it will never get back to normal but it will. I am post op week 11, doing ok but still get tired at the end of each day. Hope this helps.

• Posted

hi there im 3 month oit of my

partial my knee is still

stiff and swollen no pain from the arthritis bit still having physio hope u feel better soon

• Posted

Of course people do those things at 2 and 4 weeks, but they are residents of Fantasy Island. In the real world where we live recovery takes much longer. Don't compare your recovery with that of anyone else.

There is no time scale to follow, your recovery takes as long as it takes. Do your physio and exercise, ice and elevate. Take your medication to control pain, it's easier to exercise if you're not in pain. It really is worth the effort, I'm over 20 years and 18½ years since my ops and still going strong. It will get better with time, and you can come here in 20 years and tell others about it.

• Posted

As with the previous replies, I don't believe the stories of fantastic, full recovery in just a matter of weeks post surgery. I was considered to be the ideal candidate for a quick recovery following bilateral patella joint replacement. I am only 52 years old, with a low body weight, ideal body fat percentage and excellent health. Prior to the surgery, I had been extremely fit as a runner, cross trainer and strength trainer. I decided to have surgery as a result of non-symptomatic bone on bone osteoarthritis in both knees - and a whack to one knee, which resulted in a piece of bone spur breaking off into the knee and getting stuck in different places within the knee. This floating piece of bone spur was causing excrutiating pain that I could not control. So, to avoid the possibility of recurring bone spur breakage from occasional knocks to my knees, I agreed to get new patella joints. My surgeon and physical therapist told me that I would be back to regular exercise - minus the running - by week six post surgery. I have been extremely complaint with my physical therapy, but my recovery has been MUCH, MUCH more difficult than I had expected based on the predictions from my surgeon. I am now at five months post surgery and am STILL walking with a bit of a limping gait and cannot move very quickly. While my pain is mostly gone, my knees still feel as though I have wide, tight belts strapped to them and my flexion is only about 110-115 degrees in each knee. I am confident that I would not have been so demoralized had my expectations been more realistic. I don't understand why surgeons and PTs are not more honest about the length of recovery. At five months post surgery, I am only NOW starting to feel that I am turning the corner, but I now know that I will not be feeling close to normal until the one year post surgery mark. And, I think my experience has been more typical than the "super hero" recovery that everyone seems to think "other" patients that they know of have experienced. So, don't let anyone discourage you. Slow and steady recovery does not imply a weakness. Just know that it does get better!

• Posted

hi x all this is normal after surgery x hopefully it will be a success for you x i also had a partial last year which failed and ended up having a full knee replacement x im 16 weeks post op and still in a bit of pain and stiffness x the secret is to keep up with your excercises even if its difficult and ice it afterwards x hope it goes well x

• Posted

So here we are again. Its been just over 2 months since my total knee replacement. As much as i now have much better control of the main i am still not getting much better movement. I am not pain free but it is bareable but gets worse at bed time. I cant wait until the day i am pain free and until i can have full nights sleep. My range of movement is still poor. I can get just over 90 degrees with my partner and the physio pushing my leg but not on my own. Will i ever get any better. I am now starting to regret having the op. I walk round a supermarket for 10 minutes and my knee swells. Its at its best when i first get out of bed. By the time i get downstairs and make a coffee its swollen. I cannot get rid of the swelling no matter how hard i try. I have an appt with surgeon on 13th Nov and i should find out then if i will need to be put to sleep to make it bend more (i hope not). I am being told by lots of other people that have had this op that they weren't allowed out of hospital until they could bend at least 90 degrees. I was nowhere near. The whole thing is getting me down now. Does anyone have any suggestions ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.