Partial Knee Replacement Pain~ 8 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi~

I had a PKR 8 weeks ago and having nerve pain and a pain on the inner, lower side of the knee.  The incision is very sensative and I'm still having trouble going up and down stairs.  I'm starting to worry a bit because I thought I'd be feeling much better by now. I also need my other knee done...

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!wink

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 13 weeks in and have just managed to get up the stairs but I still can't come down. My incision is also sensitive and lumpy. Every person heals differently..be patient. It will get better.
    • Posted

Thank you Jeanne for taking the time and answering. It was very helpful!

smile

• Posted

It is so comforting to be able to speak to others who are going through the same thing.
    • Posted

It sure is. It's a procedure that unless you're experiencing it, it's hard to understand. Thanks again smile
  • Posted

Hi Cam,

As Jeanne said everyone heals differently. I am 11weeks post op double tkr and have just managed stairs as long as I have a railing and take my time. I have had pains in various parts of my knees and legs and after a day or two it goes away and appears somewhere else. All part of healing. Movement in moderation. Medication and icing all help. Was told these early weeks are the infancy stage. Each week I get stronger and feel more positive. It will get better...good luck!

• Posted

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Thank you for answering me. It is a slow process and I'm trying to stay positive and hope it will be worth it. smile
  • Posted

All very normal!

You will be really happy to have TWO good knees! My second was holding me back pre-surgery. Couldn't wait to get my second one DONE!

Wishing you all the best!😊

• Posted

Thank you Cheryl! You sound positive and it's very helpful. I'm planning my 2nd partial in a few months and hoping my operated knee will be fully healed. I've been suffering for 3 years now... I praying to be pain free by the end of 2016 smile
    • Posted

I'm not sure of the healing time for a PKR, but you will probably be quite ready for your first leg to be your best leg as you test the waters following your second surgery.

My second knee surgery went so much easier than my first. I thought my second one would be a real bear because it always had been my worst knee that gave me the most pain and trouble. It was a pleasant surprise for me that it went so well. I was out of the hospital in two days instead of three like my first surgery. I also had A LOT more mobility with it than my first which I call my "Tree Trunk Filled With Cement" knee!

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress, and I wish you great success with your second surgery!😊

• Posted

Thank you again Cheryl!  You're very helpful and it is so nice to speak with people who know what it is like to have replacement surgery.  It was quite a discission for me but I no longer could take the pain.  It was 24 hours a day.  I am "looking forward" to my 2nd once my 1st is all healed.  

Have a great weekend and again, thank you.  

• Posted

You are very welcome!

Yes, that constant pain is something you will NOT miss! Healing pain is different; it is serving a valuable purpose.

Let us know how you are doing, and come back often. This site sure has helped ME!🙌

• Posted

Greetings cam

My sisters take a drug called Lyrica for nerve pain. Perhaps you can contact your surgeon or MD and ask id the drug might assist you? Also I felt it necessary to contact my surgeon's after care nurse a couple of times over the past 11 weeks. She dispelled some of my worries. If you are in pain I think you need to find out why and if there's anything that can be done to ease it. Do you see a physiotherapist or anyone who can show you some strengthening exercises? All the best Lyn in Sydney.

• Posted

Hi lyn,

Thank you for taking the time to a answer me. I'm going to give the surgeons office a call tomorrow because this last hour the pain has gotten worse. It actually feels like a bruise, but is not showing as one. It's quite painful. I do go to physical therapy 2x a week and also will see what he says. It sure is a process...I've read about lyrica. I'm wondering if the nerve pain is a result in the healing or something I will continue to have...

• Posted

I believe you should not have to suffer the level of discomfort you are describing. I stopped taking heavy duty pain relief too early (for me) so I'm back on the Tramadol and Norspan patch until the end of June and I'll reassess my pain then. None of us can really understand or feel each other's pain. We are all just trying to get through this and I hope your surgeon provides some answers (and pain relief) for you. All the best. You will find empathy here!
    • Posted

Thank you again!  I had a reverse side effect with the pain medication where it didn't help at all and I couldn't sleep.  They tried 3 different ones but I am getting in touch with the dr today because I am concerned with the specific area where the pain is. It sure is a major surgery even though it sounds very common to people who have not had it smile

I do wish you all the best and again, thank you!  It is truly appreciated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.