Partial knee replacement progress (PKR)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lots of discussion by people having total knee replacements, but I'm interested in those that have had PKR  surgery.

I'm 5 weeks in and things are going very well. I have good movement, take no medication, walking unaided, back Driving, (manual) and light cycling. Exercising twice a day focusing on strength. I'm 57

I don't sleep right through, but this is not due to pain, but  a over active brain!

surface of scar is also still very sensitive, but decreasing with time.

how are others doing?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Partial would be me on July 23.  You sound exactly as I was at Five weeks in....then all off a sudden I started getting a pain below the knee...anyways the surgeon felt it was soft tissue damage.   If I keep moving I fine...very stiff after sitting and also painful the first few steps.  Not sure if I did something.....too much?..  I am in Florida for the winter now trying to bike, keep moving, etc. to keep it working better.  Went dancing last night for the first time since surgery.  I think over the past three weeks since arriving south, I'm doing some better.  I do believe I must have pulled something,  or did something, if it's scar tissue though I'm still dealing with.  I'm just hoping this part goes away.  My advice, try and not over do it...I may be guilty of that...  We think we are healed but inside we aren't.  I'm 59.  I think being on the younger end of this surgery that could be the downfall....we want to do too much too soon.  This surgery takes takes the body time recover...  

Keep up the good work.

• Posted

Mmmm sound advice, problem is its difficult to build strength , without  working that little bit harder, maybe that's the answer (little) ,,

will try and not over do things, but when you have always been active, that's difficult.

thanks for your input.

• Posted

Justremembered this bit of information, at 4 weeks one of the staff from my ward rang me at home to ask about progress. By this point in time I had mowed both lawns and moved furniture in perpetration for a new boiler installation. She was horrified and said I was doing far too much and to rest more. A week later I saw my physio and he said that's nonsense, do as much as you can, it can only help to build strength. My surgeon also said similar and said that as soon as the op is over the knee itself is "good to go". I have stuck with this advice and try to do everything as normal. I did no more physio after6 weeks. I'm tring to build my confidence with kneeling now...ok with a cushion but feels very weird without, though not painful, just odd! 
    • Posted

It's interesting, seems ever dr., every physio, even individuals have such different opinions and ideas.  That's why it's best to follow your own gut a lot of the time.  My dr. And physio....both seemed to have six weeks as a common number.  I.e. No gardening, no bike riding for six weeks.  I drove after three.  My person experience tells me that I overdid it for the strength my body had...after three years. Of little activity...it was stupid for me to think after five weeks I could do some of the things I thought I could...even without the surgery, my muscles needed time to strength...  We are all different...I perhaps was more worn down.
  • Posted

Just remember five weeks is still very early for your leg and what it's been through...but you are right we have to work to build strength..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.