Partial knee replacement question

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went for an MR scan and xray a few months ago with a view to having another arthroscopy.

The consultant showed me the results and told me another op would be pointless as I'm now bone on bone.

The options were partial knee op, a realignment op or do nothing.

He also said he wouldn't do anything till I'd retired from my job which is a manual one.

What i want to know is how active I'll be after a partial knee op. Im 60 btw.

Larry

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had bilateral partial knee replacements in March 2018. My consultant was reluctant to do them at first as I was only 49 and wanted to ‘buy some time’. However, every day functioning became increasingly difficult and the surgery went ahead this year when I was 52. 

My initial recovery was excellent and the elimination of that excruciating bone on bone pain was such a relief. However, I have since had a set back having torn the lateral meniscus in the right knee - this is soon to be rectified with an arthroscopy and my consultant has assured me it is only a minor setback. I am still hopeful for a very good level of recovery and plan on being pretty active for a long time yet - I work as a primary school teacher so am in my feet all day - and no pain!! 

Incidentally,  my physiotherapist has a partial knee replacement himself and was hill walking 12 weeks later. 

Obviously everyone is different but I would hope for a very good level of recovery and mobility post surgery.

• Posted

That's very encouraging as I'm hoping for a quickish recovery and although i enjoy hill walking the downhill parts are sore.

What did you feel like after a month?

• Posted

Bearing in mind I had both done at the same time so didn’t have a ‘good leg’ to compensate with I was really pleased with my speed of progress (as was my physio). I was very disciplined following  my exercise regime and at a month I was on the exercise bike to improve the range of movement, gradually increasing resistance to build strength. I was swimming at 6 weeks (once I was allowed to drive). 
  • Posted

I had a partial (patella femoral) in January this year at the age of 46 as too young for a total.

I have to say I'm regretting having it done. It's 8 months post op and I'm still in pain virtually all the time. I can't walk far and it is more painful than before I had it done. I saw the surgeon a few months ago, he said all was good and it would just take time.

It's starting to really get me down. I wished I had just waited and had a total.

Everybody is different though, so you might be fine

Good luck with whatever you decide. X

• Posted

One of the reasons i thought a partial would be more suitable is the quicker recovery time but as you say everybody is different.
  • Posted

Hello Larry,

I had a uni compartmental (partial) knee replacement in June 2018 so am now 3 months plus. It is still slightly swollen with some heat and still fairly painful/ sore. I am however walking about 3 or 4 miles, biking on static bike and been driving horses in harness (as part of Kynren) so trying to be as normal as I can. It is worse when I stand cooking and baking as it then feels like it seizes up and gets very stiff. I am still having phsio and my physiotherapist keeps reassuring me the pain is normal. I am hopeful it will make a good recovery although I have been a bit down at times. Perhaps I am just too impatient.

Best wishes for your op. Do let me know how it goes.

Pam

• Posted

Let me know how you get on too. What was the reason you had a partial knee replacement rather than a full one?
  • Posted

My husband had a partial and he's very active. Still gets a little pain but doesn't stop him doing anything.

• Posted

Climbing through mangles in soft play centres with grandchildren. Walking, gardening, DIY, etc.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. If i could get back to hill walking without dreading the down hills I'd be chuffed.

My name isn't even down for an operation yet but when it is I'll be counting down to retirement.

I'm on my feet all shift and it's a mannual job which doesnt help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.