Partial Knee Replacement Scheduled

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well.  I have made the decision to have a partial knee replacement in the beginning of December.  I was surprised when the Dr. said I only needed a partial.  Now after reading and talking to some folks I am wondering if a TKR is the way to go.  Can I tell the Dr. I prefer to just bit the bullet and do the whole knee or will a partial be enough?

Any thought or words of welcome will be appreciated.  Also, I am concerned about spinal anesthesia.  I do NOT want to know anything that is happening just wake me up when it's over.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If it were me and doc thought partial would do the trick then I would just do that. smile
  • Posted

You will get various responses due to histories. I've never experienced a pkr but I've had 3 different prosthesis (same knee) and 5 diff eff e t rehab. During that time I've been in the gym with a number of people who have had PKR's and frankly, they have had to work as long and hard as I have for recovery. I met 2 people that had both pot and then wound up with tkr and they never got an answer as to why the original decision was made. I would get an open discussion with the surgeon as to why be wants to go that way and what the long the long term outlook would be

• Posted

Hi, well my Dr started out by saying I needed a total and then changed his mind and said partial after further review of my MRI.   Also told me that even though a partial was planned, I might wake up with a whole new knee after he got in.  The day of surgery I tried to convince him to do the whole thing so I didn’t have to go thru all of this again but he wouldn’t budge.  Said this partial would be good for at least 10 years.  Still wishing it would have been a total as I am struggling with this at the age of 62,  cannot imagine it being easier in my 70’s.  Also, I am 3-1/2 weeks post op and have friends that had totals that are doing better than I am at this stage.  Not sure which compartment you are having replaced but mine was the patella femoral.

Also, I did not want the spinal anesthesia so they did a block on my knee and general anesthesia.

Wishing you all the best and please post progress!

• Posted

I’d get a second opinion

as for the spinal, I was terrified at the thought as it turned out it was a walk in the park, had sedation as well, never heard or felt a thing.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi I had TKR 7weeks via spinal and it was spot on,I just talked to the Surgical staff all the way through ok you can here what’s going on but you won’t see anything you can get a sedation as well if u want too take the edge off,but I would have no hesitation it getting it again and will next year for my 2nd TKR.
  • Posted

Hi Altrky,

?You give no indications of the damage to your knee, only what the Dr. said, so its a bit hard to comment. In my case I discussed both PKR and TKR with my surgeon, he left the choice to me. I went for partial. He agreed with the proviso that, if when he got into the knee there was no other sign of osteoarthritis, then he would do the partial. If on the other hand the knee showed more extensive signs of osteoarthritis damage than was showing on xrays, then he would automatically do a TKR.

?I ended up with a partial knee replacement of the medial compartment (on 6 Nov 2015), good for 15 years plus - I was 71 at the time, with a heart arrhythmia and on warfarin (Coumadin) for life. Plenty of challenges there then !

?No sweat. It may be because of that that I was given a general anesthetic. Don't know, and didn't care, still don't.

?You'd be far better off getting to grips with post op recovery, exercises and the challenges involved, including pain control etc.

?Look, you are going to have whatever knee it is butchered. You need to work on getting your lower and upper leg muscles etc as strong as possible. Then post op get into the exercises as early as possible. My surgeons policy was to start exercises within hours of coming round from GA. Planned stay in hospital 3 days and I had to have at least a 90 bend before they discharged me on 3rd day. Job done. 15 days after surgery dressing removed and incision line checked for infection, as was knee generally. No sweat ! So then I went to a massage therapist for her to massage the incision line and surrounding area to work on preventing scar tissue forming. My exercise programme was entirely at home and  different exercises done 5 or 6 times a day - no let up.

Free of crutches at 8 weeks, back at work driving a bus at 11 weeks.

Good luck.

John

• Posted

Meant to have said, not just free of crutches at 8 weeks but driving my car too. Also - my 'stitches' were not in fact 'stitches' at all but self dissolving staples. No need for a return to have 'stitches removed'.

?John

• Posted

So I had bilateral tkr July 18th first two weeks were hell been back to work 5 weeks alreadydriving for seven ONE IMPORTANT THING EVERYONE HEALS DIFFERANTLY but would recommend to do a total so you will never have to do any more surgery on that knee shots are only bandaids don't last long the Drs business is to do surgeries so of course he wants to see you again to make more money on another surgery that's a SURGEON'S business

• Posted

So I had bilateral tkr July 18th first two weeks were hell been back to work 5 weeks alreadydriving for seven ONE IMPORTANT THING EVERYONE HEALS DIFFERANTLY but would recommend to do a total so you will never have to do any more surgery on that knee shots are only bandaids don't last long the Drs business is to do surgeries so of course he wants to see you again to make more money on another surgery that's a SURGEON'S business

• Posted

I was given a spinal. I too was terrified at the thought but they sedate you as well so you don't remember a thing. The good thing is, it's like waking up from a sleep. No grogginess as with a general

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.