Partial knee replacement tomorrow, any tips or advice?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So glad to have found this forum! I'm scheduled for a partial knee replacement tomorrow, tho my surgeon said he won't know until he gets "in there" if it'll be a partial or total.  I have to admit that I'm kinda freaking out about the pain prospect...just wondering what to expect when I wake up...how soon will they make me walk, did anyone get PT at home, how painful is it?? Will have to have other knee done next year, after my fmla builds back up. Still waiting to learn if my short term disability is approved or not...this getting old stinks!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am now 17 days post op total knee replacement and I live in the U.S. so your experience may differ based on location and Doctor preferences. I was up in the chair the same day following surgery, and up to use the bathroom and walked in the halls with a walker the next day. My initial post op pain was good until the nerve block wore off, but then the doctors and nurses worked quickly to get my pain back under control with oral and IV meds.  I had PT and OT several times before I left the hospital, and then once I was home I had home PT twice a week for the first 2 weeks.  Today I had my first outpatient PT session. No one from PT ever pushed too hard up to this point-only what I could tolerate. Pain is subjective to each of us and our tolerance, but I feel mine has been pretty well controlled with the prescribed meds. But you should take them as they are scheduled, and don't wait until you have pain - it is very important to stay ahead of the pain with the meds. Good luck to you and please keep us posted on how you are doing!

• Posted

Thanks for the info, Dee...I think my anxiety has just built over the past year. I initially had a pnr scheduled last October 13, but a cancer diagnosis led to a hysterectomy September 24.  Thankfully I am NED (no evidence of disease) and can move forward with relieving this knee pain.  I've been off my Meloxicam for a week leading up to surgery and wow!! I have new aches and pains all over! I went to a pre-op class and took away two very important tips: ice often!! And don't try to be brave about the pain. If the drugs they've given me aren't working I'm to let them know and they'll try different drugs. I took off work today so I can prepare my "rehab room" and get some meals prepped...will touch base after surgery. Thanks for your support cool

• Posted

Hello, I had mine last Tuesday TKR. You will have pain I'm not saying you won't. I had a GA not a spinal. But please don't worry just ask for your painkillers on a regular basis. Also they will give you ice this is very important you must ice regularly. The physio to today will see how you stand and see how far you can bend you new knee and they will see if you can do straight leg raises. This is with your new knee obviously. Good luck you will be ok. Are you having Spinal or GA? This is the first day your new life begins GOODLUCK

• Posted

Hi Mandy, Thanks for your response, and good for you that you are doing so well after only one week! From what I learned in my pre-op class I'll most likely receive a spinal/epidural along with propofol, tho this will be discussed with the anesthesiologist at the hospital. As you say, this will be the beginning of a new life for me...in my pre-op class I was doubting my decision because I was much younger and way more mobile than everyone else in the class. My friend reminded me that age really doesn't matter because really I want to improve my quality of my life...to be able to visit my daughter in DC and walk to the monuments or to not pass up a trip to San Francisco because I doubt I can handle the pain from traveling! I trust my surgeon and hospital completely, have a good support system set up at home, and now just need to get this show on the road! I'll check back in once I'm able and thanks again for your kind and supportive words!!

• Posted

I totally know how you feel! I'm almost 4 weeks out from my TKR. I had a nerve block and spinal block with mine and the good news is I woke up with zero pain! It was later that night it kicked in. They give you pretty good pain medication so make sure you just keep on top of your pain. I was up and walking to PT at the hospital the day next. I was surprised at how I could manuever around. After the hospital I started going to PT outside my house for 3x a week. It's pretty rough the first few weeks but it has already gotten easier by 4 almost weeks.

My advise is to make sure you ice, and elevate as much as possible and take your pain medication. You can do this!! Good luck!!

• Posted

Thanks for your response and advice, Erin...I will need to remember to ice and elevate often as my ankle tends to swell even without surgery! From my pre-op class and everything people have said, I need to "stay ahead of the pain"...I've put a dry-erase board on the frig so I'm able to track my meds and don't miss a dose wink. I wish you continued progress in your rehab, and will check back in here after surgery!! cool

• Posted

Hi, Bschniz,

What country is your surgery being done?

• Posted

Hi Sassy, I am in the United States and so glad to have found this forum! There is a similar site for cancer/hysterectomies that helped me so much last year...I'll definitely check back here after surgery and during my recovery smile

• Posted

Hello Bschniz,good luck with your surgery.Once everything where's off from surgery just take your meds every 4 hours keep up on them,ice ice ice and elevate elevate elevate!! Bend right away as much as you can hill slide bend .good luck were here for you......

• Posted

G'day Bschniz,

I had my partial knee replacement done (right knee, medial compartment) in Nov 2015. Well it ain't a walk in the park but its all do -able. I had Xrays before I even saw my Consultant, he wasn't happy with them and at the time of first consultation ordred more on the spot. He then discussed the two options (partial or total) and I opted for partial knee - he then said the same thing, yeah, he's fine with that however, if when he got in there and saw things that weren't obvious from the Xray and that the knee was worse than expected then he'd do a total knee job. All was OK and I got my partial.

I was carved up about 11 am and by 4 pm was up and around on crutches practicing walking and alternating that with my PT exercises in bed. In hospital they played around with pain control - liquid morphine which didn't even touch the pain, nor did Tramadol. I have a heart arryhtmia and can only really take one sort of pain relief, Co-Codomol 30/500 and asked to be put on that - job done, that worked.

I am taking enough powerful drugs /dirty drugs for my heart so was reluctant to take more drugs and so used the CoCodomol as a pill in the pocket - that is I took it just before my exercises. WRONG !!!!!!!!

I did end up taking it - 8 times a day, 24/7. You will never get through your exercises if you don't keep up the pain control 24/7 ! AND if you don't keep up your exercises you won't get a 0 degree flexion nor a full bend in the knee, at least 130 dgrees. Then you'll be in trouble. 

I was in hospital for 3 days, I HAD to achieve a minimum of 90 degree bend in that time and climb stairs on crutches. I only returned to hospital once, about 15 days after surgery to check on my progress. The rest of the time I worked away - dedicated all my living moments to exercises, some lying in bed some sitting in a chair.. I had been given a pictorial programme of exercises to do by hospital and the frequency at which they should be done.

You will find on Youtube, a shedload of short videos just search for knee replacement exercises.

What nobody tells ya is that you'll need to learn to walk again. practice walking properly, heel down first, then ball of foot, then toe .... heel ball toe, in this way you'll stretch your leg muscles at the back of the knee - all part of the process. After surgery don't be afraid to go to a massage therapist for massage the scar line and scar tissue in the knee. Keep it supple otherwise you'll have a problem doing your exercises. AND don't rush things, focus on the exercise, in bed and on chair, I stayed on crutches for 8 weeks, week one, just pottering around indoors, gradually working to get strength in my knee, then venturing out short distances, then longer and longer until at 8 weeks my Consultant said OK, no more crutches, you can drive your car now and then at 11 weeks I was back at work. gently gently, slowly, slowly catchee monkee. Make every step a winner.

May the force be with you.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.