Partial tear 1 week post op, no pain is this normal ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys,

Some cracking stories, I'm a 22 year old male who's played football professionally up untill the age of 19, thankfully never had any proper injuries or ops. I went on to enjoy life abit & put on abit of timber as you do 😂, Now 16 stone the heaviest I've been.

I was persuaded by my neighbour with some swift negotiations over the back garden fence to play in a game on the 27th July for a local he manages, I been in the gym on & off for couple months so thought the run out would help in my target to cut down abit.

Ended up partially tearing my achiles tendon in my left leg, I was told it was a small tear & being young the operation procedure would probably be best. Prior to the op I was in a cast for 10 days on the anti inmflamtory tablets & injections to reduce risk of blood clots.

I Underwent surgery on the 8th August (just over 1 week today) I stopped taking the pains killers 3/4 days post up as I'm in no real discomfort or sense of pain surprisingly, I have an appointment on the 23rd (2 weeks post op) to go back to the Hospital, and was wondering if anyone knew what the next steps might be as I'm now a sports consultant managing professionals, running round to watch games so really keen to get back on my feet!

Any replies/help much appreciated 😊!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I never really had any pain either after my surgery.  I had a "nerve block" that kept it asleep for about 48 hours and then after that I didn't have pain at all.  I was in a cast for two weeks then in a boot for a month with crutches and a knee scooter.  I was able to add weight after a month and transitioned to a shoe one hour a day progressing up to 8 hours a day.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply. You're recovery sounds like the type I was hoping for myself, once in the boot was you applying any weight at all to begin with ? Also was there any pain whilst transitioning to the boot?

Thanks again x

• Posted

Didn't really experience any major pain at all once I started putting weight on it, but I paid attention to my dr. and did not push it at all.  I'm back to running now but my speed has not returned and my calves are still weak.  

• Posted

Glad to hear you're active again, how long are you now post op? I went for my first check up yesterday (2 weeks post op) the doctor said I'm healing extremely well & explained my tendon was torn 50%.

I'm now in a boot removing 1 wedge a week, he also said I can start adding Weight using one crutch, short steady trips without any & that I would be able to be near enough full weight baring next Wednesday (3 weeks post op) once I remove my first wedge. I'll remain in the boot of course. Sounds very early but again haven't been in any pain & there's no real swelling.

• Posted

I actually had both of my achilles done.  The left leg in October of 2016 and the right at the end of December of 2016.  Doing really well, but it was a struggle.  Days where I was frustrated with my progress, aside from the slower running the only other thing I've been experiencing is some numbness in the right foot and I still can't do single leg heel lifts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.