Partial Thyroidectomy and wondering if some of my symptoms are due to thyroid problems?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I've had a partial thyroidectomy almost a year ago and my neck seems to swell at random.  The results of the T-ectomy was I had nodules all on one side of the thyroid and one on the bottom of the other so that was removed.  They were nodules caused by sarcoidosis.  Anyone have this problem?

What I'd really like to know is, if anyone has had a partial T-ectomy and later find their neck swells at random and it's hard to swallow.  I've been not following up with the doctor because (I know this is wrong) but I don't want the entire T taken out.  My husband thinks some of my symptoms of vomiting and being nauseated might be caused my the other part of the thyroid because it could now be loaded with nodules. 

Besides going back to the ENT, what has anyone else exprerienced?

Thank you

Frustrated

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You must go back, follow up on your condition now. We can surmise what is causing our discomfort and worry but a doctor will know these things. It could be a goitre growing so the Thyroid struggling. My sister years ago had a goitre and this caused over active Thyroid, terrible discomfort, they removed goitre and I think part of Thyroid. After the operation she went under active, she's very fit now and 72. 

Oh and I suffer with Hashimoto disease an autoimmune problem with the Thyroid, makes me underactive so have to take Thyroxine, read a bit about the Thyroid.

Maureen 

• Posted

ooops ~

Thank you for your response.  I know  that's what I need to do so I'm going to phone on Monday and set up an appt.  Something is wrong, for sure.  Did your sister also get extremly depressed when this happened?  I'm wondering if that is causing some of mine. 

Guess I'll find out!

And yes, I did check out the site on Hashimoto disease and I'm guessing since I already have 2 auto immune diseases, it quite possibly could be this. 

Again thank you, Maureen

Frustrated

• Posted

Yes she did get very down, after her operation. It is only in retrospect, that my sister realised she was underactive, after her operation. She was over active, that is what caused her goitre. They took quite a bit of her a Thyroid from her, making her underactive. When I was underactive caused by Hasimoto disease, she could relate to all my symptoms. She wishes she had told her doctor, how she was feeling. 

Regards Maureen

• Posted

Underactive you can gain weight, right?  If that be the case and your sister is finally on medication, is she able to lose weight now?  I don't eat much but I feel "full" all the time to the point that I feel ill

I'm sure my doctor is going to end up taking the rest of my Thyroid...such a difficult thing to lose as many do not realize how the Thyroid helps the body and mind.

Thank you once again, Maureen

Frustrated

• Posted

Her Thyroid recovered, she is not now on any Thyroid medication. It was only after her operation her Thyroid struggled. Hers went back to normal a few months after her. Yours may just need time to adjust.

Underactive such a long list, but tiered, dry skin overweight. There are about 28 symptoms I think, one doesn't have to suffer with all the symptoms. I was not overweight, but as soon as I started, the Thyroid Hormone Thyroxine, I did loose about 6lb. 

I am sure your doctor will sort you out.

regards Maureen

• Posted

Thank you Maureen for you kind responses.  I will call tomorrow and set up that appt that is dearly needed.

Warm regards

Frustrated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.