Partial TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am really surprised at how many people are having partial replacements. I recently had bilateral TKR's.  I discussed the partial replacement as my knees where really bad medially (inner side).  He advised to go for the total with both knees as I would be looking at having total replacements within 5 years.  I am 68. Pain wise I don't think there would be very much difference, & I am so pleased that I won't be facing the surgery again.  It is disturbing that so many doctors are refusing to do both at the same time as well.  As my surgeon said, if you are fit & healthy there is no point in doing them seperately.  Different story if you have other major health problems like heart disease etc.  I feel extremely lucky to have had such a wonderful surgeon who listened & allowed me to come to my own informed decision.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a partial last July.  Feel better now than I have for five years.  My surgeon gave me the choice, but felt I was perfect for a partial.  I figure original equipment is better than after market parts.  There is less time to recovery with a partial.  I only stopped driving for three weeks.  I will see if I regret the decision later.. So far, I feel good doing hat I did, not regrets yet.
  • Posted

My surgeon told me I needed a TKR but because of my age he was going to send me for a second opinion (this was a couple of years ago but I am now 49).

the one who gave the second opinion said maybe I could manage with a partial and suggested they get me on the table and decide at the time of surgery which one I would need.

I then went back to my original surgeon (who, I have since been told is one of the top ones in the country) and he said he disagreed with the second opinion, I needed a full one and that's the one I should have!

• Posted

My consultant said I needed TKR. On day of operation the senior consultant said that they had reviewed X-rays and felt I only needed a PKR. I agreed to this but was a little confused! I had spinal block with sedation. 

After the operation in recovery he came in to see me and told me that I had had a full knee replacement plus the knee cap as all were completely worn out with OA. I had also been given a GA during the operation. I am assuming he spinal block was not going to be long enough as operation took over three hours.

Not sure what the mix up was hubby said maybe they had looked at someone else's xrays I wonder did someone else get. A total instead of partial? I am 12 weeks post op, and just turning the corner less pain etc. only problem is the other knee now really painful and it looks like I will be going through another one .oh well that's life. As I said to hubby he will get a new wife (after 44 years), Bit By Bit LOL

• Posted

I was told from the start that from the X-ray and Mri, that he was hoping because of my age to do pkr, but if when he went in , if a full was needed , he would be doing a full, the same applies when he does the second one in a few weeks, he nows the second one is worse but hopefully not bad enough to need a full, . My only worry with having parcial is about how long it will be before I need the full, I'm worried that I'll be scared to do every thing I like doing, in case I ruin it, that would be awful 
  • Posted

I agree intirely, I wish they had done mine together, it really stretches things out so much longer doing things singulary, I'm not a smoker drinker or anything, I just love walking, and if he had of done them both together, I would be well on the way to normality by now, I'm quiet envious to be honest, also my husband will have used most of his holidays on looking after me, instead of us going to the Lake District which was our plan for this year. No good crying over spilt milk I guess
  • Posted

I do agree with everything you ladies have said.  I didn't know until my surgery what they were going to do.  We had decided if it looked like I should have a full during surgery, they would do it.  I saw my X-rays and they did show lots of bone left, so I just hope it works.  I'm like you, not looking forward to anymore.
    • Posted

Unfortunately, it is the cartledge that disappears leaving us with bone on bone - resulting in pain & the  the need for TKR.  I am really concerned about how little explanations are given by some surgeons when advising people about surgery & what it involves.  I admit I am a registered nurse & have seen & heard a lot, which gave me the experience to ask questions that were relevant. However, you don't need to be a medical person.  You are entitled to ask questions about all of the surgery & the after effects.  You sign a consent form for the surgery & it is supposed to be an informed consent. If they do not give you straight answers & spend time explaining the pro's & con's, it is not an informed consent.  
  • Posted

Well mine is done so only time  will tell.  The mention about the bone was there was lots of bone to do the work.  My surgeon said they had good luck with the partials.....  I just felt he's more the expert than my opinion I should trust him.  I was 59 when he did it, so perhaps my age had a bearing on his choice.  If I was 75 I think I would have  definitely wanted a full.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.