Partial Weight Bearing??

Posted , 8 users are following.

This Thursday I'll be 6 weeks post-op from trimalleolar fracture surgery. At my last visit 4 weeks ago the PA told me I could begin partial weight bearing. I've had no PT yet but have been doing some exercises at home while my leg is elevated. So my question is how do I begin? What do I do first? I'm scared but anxious to get on with healing and becoming more mobile. Bring on your thoughts and advice! Thanks so much!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

There's not a lot you can do until you are full weight bearing.  At that time the PA should give you an order for PT.

• Posted

👏👏👏👏 the thought of putting any wt on this ankle scares me to death- but I m 2 weeks away from partial wt bearing and so ready! You would use your crutch or walker for partial wt until you r told to full wt bear. There are some great u tube videos but I would for sure wait for your PT or MD to give guidance. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Posted

I'm kind of in the same boat (trimalleolar fracture surgery with plates and screws).  My 6 week visit is in 3 weeks and I've also been doing some exercises (SO stiff and somewhat painful) but NO weight bearing at all. Mine was maybe complicated by fracture blisters (who ever heard of THAT?).  I'm also nervous about how much to do, but so tired of being immobile and dependent.  I had at least 3 pages of great instructions from my surgeon for the first 2 weeks post op, and a good 15 minutes of talk/questions with the terrific NP.  Then I had to travel back home and transfer to another orthoped.  What a different experience!  Why don't they give us more information?  I've called and asked questions of the nurse, and they are probably annoyed with me. This is such a slow and difficult process, even for a fairly upbeat and happy person that I usually am.  I want to be proactive in my healing process, but not sure where I am going with this.  I too am open for any advice or suggestions.

• Posted

I would call the surgeon and request a pt evaluation. Partial weight bear can mean a lot and best to have a therapist teach you.
  • Posted

I am in week 6 post surgery with a bimalleolar fracture. 9 screws and a plate. On week 5 my surgeon said lose the crutches and walk..so I did. It took about 30 minutes to fully put my weight down and walk in the boot without crutches. It was weird and I had a lot of pins and needles in my foot. It was also tight. That being said I think it is more beneficial to begin light stretches to gain more range of motion. I assisted with my hands to lightly press my toe up, then down. I slowly gained some range of motion. I have a far way to go but that is something you can do without having to bear weight. I think it is much harder to get the range of motion back then it is to bear weight, or partially bear weight. When I partially beared weight for the 30 minutes I used my crutches and just tried to put my foot in a walking motion without all of the weight. I realized right away the only way I could walk was to put my foot down like a peg leg, no flexion at all. It did improve a bit since 5 days ago but regaining the range of motion is what will make me walk more properly in a gait. Let me know how things go. I know it was scary for me, but then once I stood it was such a great moment.
  • Posted

Oh and today I had my first PT and all they did were more stretches and stim & heat. They didn't focus on weight bearing or walking. I guess I will see what the next two PT's are like for this week.

• Posted

Hopefully someone explained ur percentage of weight bearing and how to determine. I was first released to 25% weight bearing after period of NWB following surgery.

Take ur weight and multiply by percentage. This will give u amount of pressure u can put on foot. My doc recommended putting foot on scale and putting weight until u reach determined weight. This allows u to experience how that feels. And it is surprising how much weight that can be!

Later I was released to weight bearing as tolerated on a Wednesday. On Friday, I took the walking boot off and never looked back, with putting that boot back on.

I was approved for only 12 PT visits, and sadly, while I got some benefit, I really didn't get what I had hoped. At some point, it is up to us to keep doing the work.

I am now almost 5 months post surgery, 3 months released to WBAT. Still walking with aides primarily because I'm at that point where the recovery is mostly mental. I do get really stiff if ankle is left in 1 position for too long. After sitting or sleep, I start out with serious limp until I can loosen up.

Expect "full" recovery to be a year out. About 20 years ago I fractured right ankle and had to have it surgically repaired. While I never got full flexibility back, it now provides the guide post by which I know I still have a lot I can recover.

Best wishes in ur recovery!

• Posted

Thanks all for your suggestions. I called my orthopedist's office and the PA is out today. But the secretary read the notes from my last visit on 8/4 and according to them I'm not supposed to start partial weight bearing until I have my next X-ray on 9/6. So I will wait until then and hope I get better directions. This is SO frustrating!! I wish everyone here well in their recovery and I'm thankful to have you all to share and commiserate with 😁 I'll keep you posted!

• Posted

Hi,

I am 4 weeks post op fib and tib ORIF surgery plate and 10 screws, still in cast (light weight plastic type you know the bright coloured ones) and I am starting my 25% weight bearing as instructed by consultant.

So I saw my consultant two weeks ago and he said all was good and that he would like me to sart weight bearing from the 6th September (still in cast) for one week then progress to 50% weight bearing for 2 weeks (still in cast)

Then return on the 28th Sept to have cast removed.

then I start PT

So today I went for a 15 minute walk applying as best I could figure, 25% weight to damaged leg, went ok little bit sore whre the scars are making contact with the inside of plaster but other than that ok!

have it elevated now for comfort and have been very good with this, it definitaly helps.

I have been drug free for a couple of weeks with just the occasional paracetamol to help me sleep on the odd night.

Anyone have any tips or thoughts re this partial weight bearing whilst still in plaster?

All the best

Connor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.