Partner becomes ill after kissing / intimacy? - please help

Posted , 30 users are following.

My girlfriend of 4 years becomes ill after we have french kissed. We don't live together & only see each other at weekends. The symptoms she suffers with are headache (like a band across the top of the head, left-right), eye ache, fatigue/lethargy. Basically, general malaise. The symptoms present themselves 12-24 hours after (or sometimes sooner) we've had intimate contact, but do clear within 24-36 hours later. She believes I may be a carrier of something which passes to her when we kiss (or have close facial contact), triggering her symptoms.

We are both in our early 40s & have not experienced this with any previous relationships.

Both of us have visited our GPs & undergone blood tests, but they were all clear.

The best advice the GPs gave was for her to take painkillers after we'd been in contact.

We stopped french kissing approx. 1 year ago to try & alleviate her symptoms. Whilst this has reduced her symptoms it's not great for our relationship!

Can anyone offer any advice on what might be causing this & which type of medical professional may be able to help please?

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, It has been a long jorney. I'm finding out that I have been suffering from adrenal fatigue from constantly packing too much into my life and getting too stressed out. I didn't stop for two years and man was I stressed. My discoveries as of late is that my adrenals got burnt out which effected my hormones and their balance. I started to have the headaches and felt tired all of the time. I started to have horrible PMS which is an indicator of hormonal imbalance which I had never had before and I felt so out of it and tired all of the time. I also have a copper IUD which i wonder is contributing to high estrogen levels (on top of soy and plastic containers and pesticides) because copper is often bound with estrogen. I read that magnesium, vitamin c and zinc can be used to regulate copper. Hormone imbalance can even lead to inflammation of the brain, I wonder if that's what's going on? I can tell you, it's been hard for me to deal with this for 8+ months but I am doing much better by eliminating stress and eating really healthy like making bone broth chocken soup and eating a really good diet. Ask your girlfriend if she feels worse during the second half of her cycle. Anyway, I'm not a doctor but I have found that hormonal balance for women is crucial and I can't believe nobody taught me these things. Since food literally becomes part of our body, I believe its a good place to start to educate yourself to eat the healthiest you can in order to heal your body.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your comments. I can imagine that adrenal fatigue/burnout can contribute to all sorts or health problems and could exacerbate issues associated with the hormonal cycle. We both work hard and have busy lives (like most people these days!) I will discuss this with my girlfriend. As for food, we generally both tend to eat relatively healthily I would say.

We gave the monolaurin a try - my girlfriend struggled with them as they seemed to make her extremely hungry (she gave up pn them for this reason and also the ones I got were tablet form and a bit large and pawkward to get down). I have persevered for a few months but don't think they have really had any noticable effect on me.

My girlfriend does not have an IUD so that is definitely not a contributing factor in our case.

Thanks again for your comments about the adrenal fatigue/ burnout. As always it is useful to hear suggestions :-)

JLJ

• Posted

I have tried Olive Leaf and had temporaty relief, it seemed to give me more energy and put me in a better mood. I don't know why it helps- it's good for so many things but I know it's an antiviral for one but you should look up the other effects if you want to try it too. Someone had mentioned to me not to take it for more that a full month straight because it is powerful but an herbalist disagreed on that... so you should probably do research before you take it but it seems to be good for the body. I personally am sick of dealing with these headaches and feeling tired and will continue to work with my doctor on the issues and I will write back if I find anything else out.
  • Posted

I just had another thought. It may be Candida overgrowth. I just read there are blood tests and stool tests that can be done. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi.

It might be human polarity issue. Femal and male person have different polarity. When ever they stay together headache accures.

For more information about human polarity please explore on web.

Regards

• Posted

I'm beginning to think I might have the same problem with my boyfriend. We have only been dating for the past two months, and we see each other and kiss about once a week. I do not not usually get sick, maybe once a year, or less. However this is the third time I have gotten sick following a make-out session with my beautiful boyfriend. The very first time I kissed him, I contracted tonsilitis, which I had treated with a course of penecillin, then I kissed him again on New Years and got a really bad and deep cough which took about two weeks to get rid of. Now again, after our most recent encounter, I can feel that distinctive pain in the back of my throat, and I'm worried it will be the same thing again. In each case he was perfectly well, and has never developed any symptoms after kissing me.

Could he be an asympotomatic carrier of a throat infection of some kind?

• Posted

this is happening to me too what is going on?

• Posted

This exact thing is the same for my partner and I and has been for a while. He has just returned from travelling after 4 months, he was perfectly healthy, then the minute he gets home and we kiss, we both wake up ill the next day. We would really like to get to the bottom of this. It has been going on for about 8 months. It is sore throats and coughs more than headaches for us.
  • Posted

So it's been about 9 months now that I have been struggling with constant headaches and lethargy and brain fog. I had noticed that most times after romantic contact with my boyfriend my symptoms would be worse. My relationship with him is great but these health problems get in the way. As of now I am getting better because I changed my diet to organic paleo. My next plan is to get my copper IUD out to see if that's causing my body to have constant inflammation. It's worth a try. My blood tests show that I am healthy. I got my cbc again and there is no sign of raised lymphocytes anymore. I don't have heavy metals or celiacs or mono. I have gone to a rheumatologist and got blood tests for autoimmune disorder, inflammation, and thyroid. Right now, I'm thinking that my thyroid might be messed up because I know that my hormones are not at the levels they're supposed to be- I lost my labido and am only in my mid 20s. No wonder just us ladies are being effected, we have more hormones than men to keep in delicate balance and once their levels aren't right, a lot of things can go out of balance. I believe I had candida and still do somewhat. One more symptom I had was terrible PMS where during the second half of my cycle I would be miserable and angry and sad which is what I believe as a sign for hormonal imbalance. My dr put me on projesterone for the second half of my cycle and it really seems to help. I will check in again when I get my test results back. Good luck to you all!
  • Posted

Hi lil1,

You asked whether your boyfriend could be a carrier of something even though he never gets ill after kissing but you do. I have had the same discussions with my girlfriend and at one point we brought this up with an immunologist we visited together. The immunologist advised us that certain things can be passed during mouth to mouth contact such as colds / viruses etc. (it sounds from your post that you end up with throat related issues so I guess this *could* be possibly due to an infection though I am no expert in these matters).

The immunologist was unaware of the existence of any condition where one person is a carrier of something (non cold /virus related) which passes in saliva to the other person and makes them have a headache / nausea / general feeling of being unwell for approximately 24 hours which then clears (which is what my girlfriend experiences if we kiss).

It sounds like your symptoms may be a little different from my girlfriends, but I hope you can find the cause and of course a solution.

jlj

• Posted

I think this is the case boy carrier girl headache and feels sick for 3 hours after making out?

• Posted

Hi jlj,

I'm just checking in with you guys. I'm still having problems and its been a year now, are you guys still having issues?

I have constant headaches and feel tired most of the time. With eating a healthy paleo and organic diet I have gotten a little better over time. I haven't found out much but my doctor wants to diagnose me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Possibly caused by a viral infection resulting in less effective mitochondrea in the cell) and admitted it could be caused by the vaccine she gave me for tetanus, diptheria and pertussis. That's really dissappointing but I want to keep of searching on what exactly is happening with my body. I have done further testing not through my doctor and have found that my cortisol levels are not right (very low in the morning which should be highest in the mornings) and my DHEA is extremely low which makes sense because I cannot cope with stress. I will let you know what I find out in the future. I plan to search for bacteria and viruses and fungus. I also want to test for heavy metals. I got my copper IUD out which has seemed to help a little bit. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your continued interest Andrea. We are really no further in doscovering what the headache trigger is for my girlfriend but we now no long kiss (for a looong time) so the headache issue has gone away. This is obviously not an ideal solution as we both like kissing.

My girlfriend has had a few headaches recently though (even though we are not kissing) which she thinks relate to being around ill people at work. These occur towards the end of the week after she has been working with them (NB - I usually only see my girlfriend at weekends as we don't live together) and clear by the weekend.

I'm glad that the things you are doing are making things a little easier. I would imagine developing better coping strategies for dealing with stress may help as stress really runs you down.

• Posted

Hi Jij, I stopped to read your post when it caught my curiousity. but then I came to discussion because I have been with my guy for 14 years and have similar issues. I am not allergic to my guy but you would think i was, so i wanted to now why I have the reaction i do and I've been reading up on the topic of DNA match % and the role it plays between the sexes, andhormones. I can't prove it is our hormone (un) match thats the culprit but it's the best explanation thus far.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for responding. I had often wondered am I allergic to my boyfriend? I'm not sure that I fully understand what you're saying though. Are you saying that the genes are so similar, they are mistaking eachother for eachother? I will do some searching online. Thank you so very much. Any info I can get is wonderful.
    • Posted

Have u been able to research the dna matching possiblity yet??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.