Partner becomes ill after kissing / intimacy? - please help

Posted , 30 users are following.

My girlfriend of 4 years becomes ill after we have french kissed. We don't live together & only see each other at weekends. The symptoms she suffers with are headache (like a band across the top of the head, left-right), eye ache, fatigue/lethargy. Basically, general malaise. The symptoms present themselves 12-24 hours after (or sometimes sooner) we've had intimate contact, but do clear within 24-36 hours later. She believes I may be a carrier of something which passes to her when we kiss (or have close facial contact), triggering her symptoms.

We are both in our early 40s & have not experienced this with any previous relationships.

Both of us have visited our GPs & undergone blood tests, but they were all clear.

The best advice the GPs gave was for her to take painkillers after we'd been in contact.

We stopped french kissing approx. 1 year ago to try & alleviate her symptoms. Whilst this has reduced her symptoms it's not great for our relationship!

Can anyone offer any advice on what might be causing this & which type of medical professional may be able to help please?

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Shesa2,

I haven't been able to find any articles online that seem to relate to our situation in relation to DNA mismatches. I will continue to take a look but so far nothing I've found looks relevant. I did discuss the possibility of a homrmonal trigger with the immunologist we went to see but they weren't aware of any circumstances were kissing would trigger a hormonal reaction that led to a headache.

jlj

• Posted

Our nose holds large amount of bacteria/virus. Not hard to transmit while deep kissing...good hygene practice to regularly flush nose out with water while showering .
  • Posted

Hello,

I have the same problem as you desribed. After intimacy with my girlfriend I become  ill for 24-48 hours. The first symptoms are general lack of energy and drowsinnes. It gets stronger the next day and diminishes right away after 24 hours, sometimes a little longer. During the illness I feel lethargy, eye aches, my focus is terrible,  I can't concentrate on my work and even on small home tasks. Drinking a coffee makes this situation even worse. Generally, I am a healthy man, full of energy, without allergies to pollen or food. Unfortunetly, the intimacy at weekends with my long distant girlfriend makes me a wreck at least for a day. It's hard to explain in reasonable way.

I've studied some papers about POIS and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, cause some syndroms are similar, but my problem is definetely not related with any kind of allergy to perfumes or  orgasm. My  blood tests are ok either.

If you are on the right track, what  helps you or allievates your syndroms, please let me know. I'll be glad for your help or suggestions.

• Posted

I stumbled across this discussion as I was joking with my partner that I'm allergic to him.

He thinks I'm crazy but I'm happy to see I'm not alone here!

Just to give you a brief history I'm now 40 and I met my current boyfriend back when I was 17.

Even back then I noticed I always got sick after being with him. I was young though and our relationship was long distance so I didn't think much of it as we didn't see each other often.

When I was 18 I ended up getting extremely ill with mono...yet he was fine.

He was the only person I was kissing and the Dr suggested you can be a carrier of mono all your life but never get sick.

We parted ways when I was 19 and just reunited last year when I was 39. 20 years later I still get sick after being intimate with him. I'm laying here as we speak with a swollen throat and runny nose.

If you look up Mono or EBV it will explain how it can be dormant in a carrier.

I often wonder if because I've all ready been very ill once with mono if I could be getting a milder version of it when we are together?

It's the only thing I can think of but I thought I'd share.

• Posted

Hello. I am beginning to think I have the same problem.  I have always suffered from headaches which tend to last three days and paracetamol/aspirin etc has no effect and just makes me feel nauseous.  I have thought for some time that it might be related to my body fighting off a virus eg. common cold viruses as my doctor once told me when I went to see him following a 6 week headache that that sometimes happens.  I had a blood test and my white blood cell count was low which he said was indicative of this.

I cut out alcohol, then sugar and then wheat to see if it was any of these but at the moment I have a headache and it's the same kind of headache and the only thing I did do was kiss my husband on Tuesday night.  He is always getting colds and I hardly ever have one.  I think my antibodies are working overtime to keep me well but it results in a massive headache.  Thanks antibodies!

I see it's been a while since anyone posted anything on this site but it's interesting that there are others who have have come to the same conclusions.  Maybe we are all distantly related!

• Posted

Hi. I have the same problem with my girlfriend and I still haven't found the cause. Basically, I kiss her and two days later I get sick of my stomach, nausea, abdominal pain, burning stool, diarrhea (not necessarily) and I remain sick for a day or two. I have been with her for 10 years and now that I remember, I started having digestive complications probably after we started dating, but I never related it to the kissing, it took me a long time to figure this out, and now I found your post, luckily. I think it might be Candida overgrowth, but like I said, I haven't found the cause. I hope some of us can find what it might be, or at least give us a hint. Greetings to you all and good luck to us. (Sorry for my english, I am writing from Guatemala)
  • Posted

Trying going to the dentist and getting your teeth cleaned and also brush and antibacterial mouthwash before kissing
    • Posted

Hi jules31,

We both follow pretty good oral hygeine practices and are particularly focused on this due to this issue. Thank you for your suggestion though. At present we are experimenting again with kissing and keeping a log of whether my girlfriend gets a headache. So far it looks like only sometimes she gets a headache, though we haven't identified the common factor.

This is an improvement on what we've found in the past where it seemed every time we kissed it happened. Nb - we have been making a conscious effort to ensure our necks/heads are comfortable (having the neck in an uncomfortable position could maybe trigger?) and also kissing a little bit less than we would have previously so the jaw doesn't get strained/tired (TMJ can possibly trigger headaches).

We Plan to continue for the time being so will post again if we come to any conclusions and are able to identify the cause.

Thanks for your post.

jlj

• Posted

hello

I will add something here or start a new one. From my own ongoing personal experience I get a severe reaction several hours after any type of exposure - airborne, touching, kissing, etc.

Sometimes the reaction begins, several hours laterm with a momentary stabbing pain just under the navel area.

It may then progress to the lungs after a period of time.

After the invader has had a feast on my lungs, it may decide to progress to my brain - that is the really dreadful episode.

After over a year of this, recently I had a sudden loss of hearing in my right ear, together with a complete loss of sense of smell.

As long as I stay away from this fine lady I evetually recover from the illness (apart from an permanent damage left behind).

I have surmised from the contacts made with various doctors, that the only cure as far as doctors are concerned is to break the relatonship. They probably feel they are the business of physical healing not relationship healing.

There should be a systematic way of determining the agent causing the reaction. I really don't think it's rocket science, but it appears the procedures might be too embarrassing for a doctor to get involved in, and above his call of duty.

• Posted

HI...jlj

I n my girlfriend is facing the same problem.....we  are dating each other from last 8 months....

i have been noticing that when ever we kiss each other for a long time....

She just start with a headaches n feel Sick.....I also feel Tired n Sometimes i also gets Sicks.......sad

Don`t know what to do...??

I was thinking that this is all becoz we are having Opposite Blood Group.....

Her Blood group is B- and Mine blood group is B+..... 

I think blood group is a big reason behind it...becoz Opposite Blood group also Cause problem in Making babies.....I have done lots of research bt didn`t get any answer....

if u know why this all happen 2 us...plz tell.........

• Posted

Hi I've been reading all your posts and I know what's wrong. It's parasites you should take coconut oil capsuals or an anti parasite formula

• Posted

AFTER FRENCH KISSING I STARTED EXPERIENCING SORE THROAT, FATIGUE, HEADACHE ; AND AT ONE POINT I EVEN HAD A BAD COLD. IT TOOK A FEW WEEKS BUT THEN I REALIZED THAT THE ONLY THING THAT WAS DIFFERENT WAS MY TOOTHPASTE. I HAD STARTED USING A BAKING SODA/ PEROXIDE TOOTHPASTE. I THEN CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT IT WAS KILLING TOO MUCH OF THE GOOD BACTERIA IN MY MOUTH SO I DECIDED TO STOP USING IT. SINCE I STOPPED I HAVEN'T HAD ANY OF THOSE SYMPTOMS AFTER FRENCH KISSING AGAIN.

• Posted

I've suffered from this problem for over 3yrs now; no medical personnel have been able to provide with any help. My eyes ache, scratch, and are always strained, am always down with headaches, tiredness and every other miserable feeling one can think of; am sick and tired of this whole thing. A solution will be the best thing in my entire life.

• Posted

Could it be a problem with the jaw from moving it for a long period of time ? Jaw joints can caus headache if they aren't working as they should , and then headaches can cause tiredness, stress which can give you all types of symptoms

• Posted

Hello,

From the time I met my boyfriend in June, to now, I've been on over 6 antibiotic treatments for strep throat. All times have been tested and confirmed with a culture/rapid strep test.

Seems that everytime I kiss him or make out with him, I contract strep throat 48 hours later.

The doctor even did a swab, culture test on him to find out if he had strep, but he tested negative.

I am going crazy because I have strep again after French kissing him this week, but I don't know if I'm allergic to his saliva or if my immune system is over-responding to his bacteria.

I'm debating letting the strep go away on its own, (without antibiotics) and continue kissing him to see if my body builds immunity to his germs.

Should I take antihistamines before being with him, to see how my body responds ? Anyone has experience with antihistamines and strep?

I'm considering the possibility of being allergic to something, but have no clue to what.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.