Partner has been on citalopram for just over 4 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

My partner has been on citalopram for just over 4 months now my question is, is it still OK to have bad days for him? He goes back to his normal self after a day or so, the tablets have been amazing for him no side effects nothing and they seem to be working.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

Can I ask how long it took him before he started to feel the benefits of citalopram? I’m on day 10 of 20mg and am not feeling much difference yet I’m clinging on to the fact it will kick in soon and you said your boyfriend was much better? I was told good/bad days come hand in hand and I may experience some bad days but eventually the good days will outweigh the bad.

• Posted

It's perfectly normal to still have bad days. Antidepressants won't make you happy, only you can do that. But they will help you to cope better with the bad days.

If he's worried about the bad days it could be worth speaking to his doctor again and maybe trying a higher dose (assuming he's not already at the highest dose).

Not sure if he's receiving any form of counselling but this may help too..

• Posted

He said he isn't worried about the bad days as they are only few now and they don't hit him as hard as they did without the citalopram

• Posted

Yes this is in my experience normal. I found it took a full 6 months to get used to citalopram completely. He will keep getting better 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.