Partner post surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum.

My partner was diagnosed with Crohns, June 2017. There is a strong family genetic link - 3 close family members with colitis, ulcerative colitis and Crohns.

My partner had a resection 9 weeks ago, about 15 inches of small intestine removed, possibly a third of his large colon (different health care professionals report differing lengths) and a hernia repair. 9 weeks on symptoms are worse than pre-surgery: wind, bloating, chronic watery diarrhoea and fatigue. It's a constant battle with little respite. Medications, powders and tablets, for possible bile salts problem make matters worse. I really feel for my partner, it's difficult seeing him suffer so much on a daily basis. His Crohn's care has not been good. Services are stretched and he feels fobbed off much of the time with the nurse saying it's still early days post surgery. He was taking steroids pre-surgery but nothing since. Consultant appointment is not until June.

Has anyone had this experience? I really hope not as it really is miserable.

Very best wishes to all.

Camino x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It can take 6 months to a year for symptoms to settle

9 weeks is very early days, very!

It’s major surgery, and it should improve given time.

I’m not saying it will be perfect but it does improve.

I had the same surgery, and even the swelling outside takes ages to look better and for a belly button to return!

Good luck and take care 

• Posted

Thanks Alfielefoo, that's good to know and very reassuring : )

• Posted

I was 16/17 when I had my first  operation for Crohns it took me a good 8 month go get back to myself. I had another operation at age 20 this time was worse I needed 20 staples on my belly and that recovery took me a lot longer still recovering now as I only had it in September 2017.
    • Posted

Hi Jason,

I hope you continue to make a steady recovery.

My partner was offered a hospital appointment today as they had a cancellation. His consultant thinks he may have a flare up in his Colon and has referred him for an urgent endoscopy. His symptoms are the same as when his Crohns was active pre-surgery, only far worse. They are also testing for inflammation.

Take care.

Camino

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.