Partner's "strange thoughts" about me with Sertraline

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice or reassurance. 

My girlfriend began taking 50mg Sertraline about 1 week ago - mainly to help with anxiety. I have seen a marked change in her confidence and mood already so thought everything was going well.

About 3 or 4 days into treatment she began mentioning "strange thoughts" and a feeling of "seeing things clearly" but did not elaborate.

Yesterday she began acting strangely and disappeared for several hours which is unusual for her.

Later that night she told me she had many strange thoughts and is now confused about what is reality and what may be her mind playing tricks on her. She has been questioning whether I am who I seem to be, whether my personality is a facade and am I going to hurt her. She describes this as just a feeling rather than due to anything I have done.

I believe the Sertraline has dramatically increased her confidence in social situations and stopped her anxiety but perhaps brought to the surface some deeper insecurities and anxieties. Now I am extremely concerned that she almost has a paranoia about me - perhaps more than she is letting on. I am worried this will get worse.

Has anyone else had similar experience in the early days of taking this drug and do these feelings pass?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

The first 2 weeks tend to be most acute for side effects like feeling odd and disconnected and spaced out and in my case odd vision effects

Also u go from being overcome with anxiety and fear of having further anxiety to having hours feeling really positive and that you can handle anything which may affect your relationship / view of other people

Finally appetite tends to be deceased and not eating makes me feel weird on top of all else

• Posted

My point is that these sorts of things can make your behaviour seem odd

There are also side effects about suicidal thoughts listed in the literature

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I read about suicidal thoughts, she says she doesn't have them, but I wondered whether paranoia or suspicion of loved ones was a known effect. She said she feels like she doesn't really know me, like I have some hidden agenda. Although she eventually told me this yesterday I am worried she might become more paranoid and shut down. Hopefully it will pass in a week or so.

• Posted

I think all you can do is wait and see

Certainly week 1 is the one where the mind feels foggiest imo

• Posted

see my more detailed response....please note that psychosis is a side effect listed in the BNF ( British National Formulary ) - the book that drs use to prescribe medicines from.
  • Posted

Hi John,

It certainly sounds worthy of checking with a medical professional to me. Before being put on sertraline myself, I was first given another AD citalopram, and within the first week or so I suffered to most horrendous atack of mania. I have experience in the area of mental health, and am familiar with actions of most of the AD's and recognised it for what it was, stopped it, and saw my dr the first available appointment on the Monday morning ! This doen't happen to many people but it did to me. My point being is that it COULD be an adverse effect, the best person to evaluate this would probably be a trained mental health professional, either a good GP in that area, or psych nurse ( CPN )....they would be best able to evaluate it for what it is. I had to go down this route as my GP despite depnding an hour with me as I was ''coming down'', I had been much worse over the  weekend, wanted to confirm that the initial diagnosis was correct, and that I wasn't manic depressive or bipolar, as the treatment is very different. It was an attack of mania attributable to the citalopram as I thought ! But better safe than sorry, I was after one appointment able to go back to care of my GP. In the BNF it does list psychosis as a poss. side effect of treatment on sertraline. So whilst not common, it can happen. Also, amnesia, confusion and aggresive behavoiur have been noted......personally, I would tentatively seek further advice. 

With regard to inc. in suicidal thoughts, this is possible, and since one of the first effects is to increase motivation in patients, this can be a trigger to actually do something about previous latent suicidal thoughts, which is why patients are better off if they have someone to notice any strange behavious changes in the first month.

Hope this helps, and hope you both get the help you need xx

• Posted

Dear John,

I feel for you!! Even though 12 months late for advise.

This happened to my husband in April 2017 after 2 weeks of slowly increasing Sertraline. He became very paranoid, initially thinking he was going to be sectioned as he felt his anxiety wasn't controlled and that all doctors were against him and plotting against him. I believe the fear of being sectioned comes from his past as he suffered with anger as a teenager and was taken to a special unit for a while.

He then started directing his strange thoughts onto me, he felt intoxicaded, like drugged. To look at him, he was sweaty, tremors, intense look, dilated pupils, following me everywhere, very distrusting of everything I did, he reported blurred vision and he said he felt cognitively impaired. Of course been a clever guy he internet researched and put came with his conclusion that is must be mercury poisoning but later that changed to drug toxicity (he implies I did it 😞wink as you can imagine it was a very difficult exhausting time. I am a nurse and tried my hardest to not react to it but at the time as he had been on other medications I couldn't identify which one it was making him feel this awful.

He's recently decreased it but started feeling very low, from 100mg to 50mg then to 25mg. So he went back to 50mg, within 1.5 weeks he started mentioning drug toxicity from April etc....and has been getting agitated and fixated on certain subjects. His neurologist advised him to come off it very slowly, so he said 'you took it for three months, then take three months to gradually come off it'

What happened to your other half? Are they still taking Sertraline?

Best Wishes

Nessorela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.