Passing blood and scared senseless.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

Sorry for the topic but really need some advice as I don't know what to do.

For the past 3-4 months I have been passing blood in my stool. It started as just little streaks and quickly progressed to drops. I thought nothing of it and stupidly left it hoping it would stop. Now it's literally just passing blood. Always bright red.

My bowel health the last month though has completely changed which isn't like me, I am usually a regular guy. I have adominal pain, a lot of cramping, bloating and pain in general around the stomach. It feels like I have been punched some days. I can't sleep through the pain of trapped wind and passing gas a lot. So gassy.

I also struggle to make a bowel movement now and feel kind of obstructed, when I do get the urge to go, I really have to run to a bathroom quickly. I have been passing just blood. No stool. And when I can pass stool, it's often diarrhea and blood but nothing substantial.

I don't know if the blood is a lot, or a bit and looks worse in water but it sometimes drips for a good few moments if I strain. It takes a bit to clear up.

I thought I had a stomach ulcer but doesn't seem to fit now. Bloods and stool tests show I am fine as well.

The only thing I have changed is I have stopped omprezola (originally given for an ulcer caused by ibruprofen over use).

What should I do?

I have high anxiety and panicking a lot now as it's getting worse daily sad

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thomas44921

I think you should go to your nearest AE dept. asap as what you are describing sounds very serious and may need urgent attention to find out what is going on ok. Please let me know if everything is okay with you. Take care.🙂

• Posted

I don't know if I am just panicking because it's been going on for so long with no let up.

I will have to see if I can see my GP appointment tomorrow or might go the walk in. It's just concerning now sorry.

• Posted

Hi Thomas

When you describe your symptoms it sound very much like what I’ve been through, and I’m still going through some elements like the constant bloating, gassy feeling.

I had a colonoscopy with biopsies a few months back and everything came back fine, apparently my colon, rectum and terminal ileum looked very healthy and the biopsies came back normal. The only thing they found was haemorrhoids, and quite a few from what I remember seeing on the screen. I have been diagnosed with IBS and I generally have constipation. I sometimes get blood on my stool, and it will drip from my anus for a short length of time, I’ve been told this is haemorrhoids bleeding from straining.

You need to differentiate between whether you have blood in stool, or blood on stool. Bright red blood is usually the better one to have, especially if it looks like a streak on the stool or drips after having, or even not had a bowel movement, especially if you are having to strain. Also stool colour is a good indicator, dark and tarry suggests upper GI bleeding (ulcers) and red blood is usually lower GI bleeding.To me it sounds like haemorrhoids and / or a fissure. The abdominal troubles could be IBS, caused by the development of ulcer(s) through Ibuprofen over use. My IBS came on by being prescribed Naproxen without stomach protection, and whilst having stomach ulcer(s).

Either way it’s always best to get checked out with your doctor as soon as possible, they might perform an internal examination which can sometimes reveal haemorrhoids, plus other things, or refer you for a Sigmoidoscopy / Colonoscopy.

I hope that helps, in the meantime take care and all the best.

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

Yeah I agree.  Go see your doctor.  I completely know how you feel...start to panic and cant think about anything else.  The solution is the doctor who will refer you for some tests and once you know what to do or everything is ok you can calm down...it is the only way to go forward.  Yip see the doctor before the weekend so you can enjoy your weekend just that little bit more!  Let us know how you go.  Sending a prayer your way for good health again soon :-)

• Posted

Also if your doctor doesn't refer you for an colonoscopy demand one.  I have had 4 colonoscopies and they are so good!  You know what is going on and the health of your bowl!   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.