Past two days iv had a pulsing/throbbing in my leg

Posted , 5 users are following.

8 years ago I was left untreated for five days after misdiagnosis of a dvt.which has left me with lots of problems I now have lost thrombotic syndrome and chronic veinous insuffiency for the past two days my leg is constantly throbbing/pulsing near my left knee. cannot describe the feeling very strange but not painful.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi have you seen a Vascular Consultant recently as they have developed treatment for PTS? My son had serious PTS symptoms and is so much better now. Treatment at Guy's & St Thomas' Hosp London.

• Posted

hi shelia. just an update on me. i have lympthadema now.got those horrible stockings.making leg swell more.back to clinic on wednesday. glad to hear your son is better now.doc has discharged me from hospital now until next scan in 10mnths time. just taking warfarin now.hope your keeping well.
    • Posted

Hi sheila I wonder if you can describe the treatment in a nutshell? I would find this really helpful to know. Thank you. 
    • Posted

Yes I have Sheila I was meant to have stents put in at the end of February but decided against it.but no ones mentioned anything else that could work.
    • Posted

Hi, my son had a massive DVT from ankle to abdomen in his left leg. He was on warfarin but nothing else. We got a referral to Guy's & St Thomas London as we had heard about a stenting trial there. He saw Mr Stephen Black, Vasc Cons, and his team and they diagnosed May thurner Syndrome causing pressure in his veins in his abdomen but no clotting problems. He had 3 stents over a year ago, overlapping in his abdomen and all is good. He had PTS symptoms of swelling and discomfort and numbness in his left leg and these were much improved straight away. The main reason for the stenting was to improve his longterm venous health as he had formed collaterals which had helped alot. He is not only healthier as he can exercise again now but psychologically he is great. He had been pretty fed up about the DVT which is why I researched online. He also wore a compression stocking when on his feet. Would highly recommend G&StT as they treated him as a person who needed help to get back to way he was before. Sheila.

• Posted

Sounds identical to myself Sheila mine was also from ankle to groin and I have some collateral over my abdomen.I also use the compression stockings daily.my vascular surgeon was off for a while so I had been seeing his understudy who pushed me to go for the surgery.so I agreed and was put on the waiting list.inbetween I saw my vascular surgeon again who wasn't happy I was going for the surgery and told me not to and to never let anyone touch the veins on my abdomen.so surgery was cancelled and I'm confused as hell lol.

• Posted

You can watch on You tube the Veniti stent as discussed by Mr Stephen Black and also the stenting process itself. Search online Mr Black and veniti stent. There is also info from Thrombosis UK charity, they record their Thrombosis Day discussions.The most convincing part for my son to go ahead was the news that his vascular health would be affected by having scarring in his veins from the DVT which would lead to high venous pressure. Also he was young and is a sports coach so on his feet all day. The veniti stent is a trial but has been developed especially for the veins and even though it is relatively new it is getting v good results. My son goes to the gym, swims, runs and plays cricket and tennis. 6 months after the DVT he was only able to walk and had significant painful swelling. You can ask your hosp which stent they use, this new stent is flexible and strong. He was overnight in hosp, stents injected into vein by the knee under general anaesthetic,scaned next day and sent home. He was on Warfarin then apixaban for a year and scanned regularly. His stents are open and in place. sheila.
  • Posted

A similar thing happened to Me for a couple of years I had some dry rashes around My ankle went to the docs and he said it was exmathen last year jan 2016 I was rushed to hospital with cellulitis I had a full  CT scan Inhospital for a week then off work for a month 3 months after leaving hospital a consultant rang Me upat work on my lunch break and told Mr that I had blood clots behind mt right knee groin and left chest area and told me to get to hospital where they found a clot behind my right knee (none on grion or chest area) I have now been on Rivoroxiban for 10 months - Iam annoyed at the hospital for not passing the results over they should have told me when I had the CT scan they said an attachment was put on my records but was not passed on.

I now have to see my doctor where I am going to ask the question about haing the clot removed by removing the clot surgically ( by passing a IV into the vein and injecting a fuild to disperse the clot ) I dont get any pain from My knee just abit of swelling in My calf and ankle and the fact I cant wear any support stockings because then I get a cramp pain 

It is funny that I had the swelling a lot worse before I had the cellulitis and even then I thought it might be DVT by looking on the internet but was not sure then I why didnt  all the pysicians pick this up.

The thing is whist they are waiting to see if the clot will desperse its costing them more than having the vein surgically cleaned out.

After they cocked it up at first they can sort this out and remove the clot as I am not taking Rivroxiban forever and nothing else is being done.

• Posted

8 years i been on warfarin now it left me with loads of complications.I sucessfully sued the nhs for negligence. It's just a nightmare changed my life so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.